How bad do these front floor pans look?

EurekaSevven

Reaction score
I was looking at my Chrysler recently last week and noticed that due to the carpet being trashed I could take a peek at the front floor pans, so I decided to gauge their condition - I noticed a few small rust holes in the front driver's side and a smaller one on the passenger side. I know someone who works at a site where they work on these cars, including welding, so I will try them to fix it as I am no welder, but I was wondering that, besides the obvious fact that it needs to be taken care of, as to how bad this looks.

What do you guys make of this?

mqf9EsB.jpg

AwJc9zN.jpg

CLcSrc3.jpg

rBcQFbn.jpg

3KWzpEF.jpg

8xzj9FO.jpg

clHNRMs.jpg

EWIriC3.jpg

uDAlfUv.jpg

IdYcQ6q.jpg

HTS9Ubq.jpg

79fftP5.jpg

r1fNenm.jpg

5mau6k9.jpg

fnsNcLI.jpg

tHfG1YB.jpg

r4z7sI1.jpg

YxEOrvV.jpg

t23SHdy.jpg

VJWEpu5.jpg

The pan in photo #1 will need to be replaced, it has failed structurally. There is a lot of layered rust showing in the ribs of most of the other photos, that means when they are cleaned up you will probably be able to see the ground thru the rib channels. Pull the carpets and start cleaning with a vacuum cleaner first, then with a wire wheel to see what you have left, be sure to wear eye protection. I suspect you will be headed for major floor repair if the floors in photo #1 are typical. You will also want to inspect the cowl area as rust holes around the vent area a also a bad sign as to cowl condition and rust at the top of the cowl may be the source of the moisture intrusion.

Dave

You will also want to inspect the cowl area as rust holes around the vent area a also a bad sign as to cowl condition and rust at the top of the cowl may be the source of the moisture intrusion.
The cowl actually looks perfectly fine, I don't see any evidence of major rust damage there. I don't have a good picture at the moment but this is the best I have:
upload_2021-7-6_0-33-38.png

I was going to remove the seats tomorrow (was going to be today but I got sidetracked), to check the condition of everything else. I don't think the cowl is the trouble in this case.

FWIW they usually rust out at the base of the A pillars and the floor of the area under the wiper linkage. Most common on vehicles that have seen salt from road spray.

Dave

Last edited:
Start soaking down the nuts and studs for your seat tracks with penetrant at least a day in advance of putting a wrench on them.

'Least ya got a brand new OEM NOS free trim clip in the process!

Seriously it looks like you have good metal around the edges to weld too, but IMO if you dipped the lower part of that car I'll bet you won't have much left of the rusted area. Swiss cheese comes to mind.

FWIW they usually rust out at the base of the A pillars and the floor of the area under the wiper linkage. Most common on vehicles that have seen salt from road spray.

Dave

I'm assuming the 'base of the A pillar" is referring to where the kick panel/vents would be, so I took off the vent cover to inspect that area:
htR0pTc.jpg

dsJkr6g.jpg

Y1967l8.jpg

vO3S5Xr.jpg

oUW12oO.jpg

Besides the two holes there (which seem to be intentional, I imagine those are drains for excess water?), it looks and feels solid to my eyes.
I suppose I can evaluate the passenger side as well once I get it off (for some reason this one bolt is an absolute pain to get to with my socket), but since the driver's side looks worse I would think this would be the 'problem area'.

Wiper linkage is the only area I haven't checked, will look at my manual for that procedure.

Yea those holes get plugged up with leaves & debris that filters down from the cowl. That it is why it is important to clean the leaves off the cowl.

A pillars are the two front metal pillars running up to the roof from the top of the cowl on either side of the windshield. Especially on cars with vinyl tops, the bottoms of these pillars collected moisture under the vinyl and rotted out resulting in a leak into the passenger compartment. Water also got trapped between the windshield and the metal pillar causing rust issues.

Dave

Back