How crazy am I?

I don't see why not if in good condition. Right now I am having my heads rebuilt and after that my 410 block gets reconditioned for my 67 Park Lane. Hopefully all done and running by end of year. I want to take it on a 500 miles ride from the Bay Area, to south Tahoe, down 395, round Bakersfield, back up 5 to home at 12-14 mpg on premium. Spring break with my son. Wife probably working besides she would be the one as to why are you using this old car.

Traveling home from DC. Best tank was 17 mpg

IMG_6674.jpeg

Those wheels are excellent!
Thank you!

So I looked at the mileage. It was 900 miles. Thank god I put in an aluminum radiator because leaving the university, I was stuck in a massive gridlock that took me 45 minutes to get out and that was a lot of sitting and idling. Never once got hot. If I had the factory radiator, I would have never taken the car.

Some takeaways: the steering wheel really needs to be thicker, got cramps from holding it, the cruise control won’t engage over 70mph, and the headlights suck in the dark. Otherwise it was a comfy ride

Hi Just finished a little trip of roughly 900 miles (1475 KM) with my '77 Gran Fury wagon , I drive this car pretty well every day as it is (I'm not sure of how many miles are on it I've owned it that long)
Any how no problems not even a hint of a problem ....21 MPG overall ... and 1/2 quart of oil. So you're not crazy ...do a full inspection , take extra fluids and a set of fan belts, a tool kit and go to it!

Got a couple more pics to share.
First one is filling up at sheetz for the last leg of the journey. Second picture is the entire contents of a dorm room crammed in the trunk. No one believed me when I said “oh all of that can fit in the trunk”. They were flabbergasted.

283FBE56-F84E-4443-BB96-CF102D1A0890.jpeg

86466EB1-E09F-40B1-B1BE-18C5DDB2B93E.jpeg

I have a 1994 Dodge B150 Van. It is old enough now that I carry with me NOS radiator hoses, wiper arm bushings, serpentine belt, throttle and kickdown cables, distributor pick-up plate, and a used but good computer.

Years ago I had a 1967 A-100 Dodge Van. I was in the mountains in southern AZ. My fan belt (only had one on the slant 6 motor) broke. I had a new one that I carried (just in case). I changed it with a crescent wrench as I
sat in the drivers seat...the motor was between the seats. Just took a few minutes and on I went.

In 1993, I drove my '66 Fury from Moncton through Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, New York, Michigan, Minnesota, Wisconsin, North and South Dakota, Montana, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec, and home. I should mention that I was hauling my 18' travel trailer. In all those miles, I adjusted the clutch once and installed a carb kit.
This was the best trip of my life, so I will say you are not at all crazy! Enjoy!! Lindsay

Back