How Different is a 1968 Newport from a 1966?

Gerald Morris

Reaction score
Greetings Moparians!

In the interest of QUICKLY GETTING A DRIVER back on the streets, my wife and I have found a VERY attractive 1968 Newport, which, with God's blessing, we will have clear title to before Friday. the lack of a downloadable FSM on MyMopar.com dismays me a little, but I see that the 1968 doesn't appear too different from a 1966. That reassures an old junky who had his CNS badly rattled about a week ago now.

Do any of my Esteemed Senior Moparians know if there are downloadable FSMs for the 1968, and if so, were there any major changes in the car? I KNOW the stub frame is identical, and still hope to get a good one for Mathilda so I can get HER BACK on the streets, in at least a limited, service mode while we break in the '68, whose name we will reveal when purchased.

Anyway, despite our severe poverty, we NOW hope to be, "REAL MOPARIANS" with our growing horde of parts AND, best of all....

MULTIPLE MOPARS!!!! :D

Hi @Gerald Morris,

I am so sorry to have read about Matilda, but so happy to know you and you child are alright.

I have a ‘68 300 and have yet to find a downloadable FSM for that year. I do have a hard copy of the FSM and have seen digital copies (on CD) for sale on EBay, but nothing as a downloadable file.

Regrettably I do not know the differences between a 66 and a 68, but if I can look anything up and snap a pic of the pages you need, I’d be more than happy to help.

Hi @Gerald Morris,

I am so sorry to have read about Matilda, but so happy to know you and you child are alright.
Regrettably I do not know the differences between a 66 and a 68, but if I can look anything up and snap a pic of the pages you need, I’d be more than happy to help.

BLESS YOU! I'll see to obtaining a CD. I bought one from Rock Auto for the 66, after downloading one from MyMopar.com. I saw there IS a PLYMOUTH FSM for that year. Will cop that and look up the Fury. OR, the Monaco and Polara look closer to the Chrysler, so might check that too.....

THANKS AND BLESSINGS ON YE!

SPF is correct. No electronic copies for '68, amigo. I got a pretty nice original off of ebay for like $30 when I got the Imperial. I found it is way easier flipping through the book while working out in the garage.

From what I noticed waaay back then, the '68 is basically the same car as the '66, mechanically. Main changes were to make the '68 compliant with the emerging CA emissions and such. Of course, the instrument panel was different, but I somewhat suspect that it will wire the same way (color codes and such) as the '66 (with a few differences). TF should be the same, other than a few internal calibration differences. Similar with the rear axle, although ratios should be the same (2.76 std with 383 2bbl, 3.23 optional, Sure Grip for both). It would not surprise me if you might unbolt the '68 front clip and put it in the same holes on the '66, although the coutours are different and would not match. The stub frame would probably be a bolt-in situation, too, with any possible differences MIGHT being in the bolt holes for the radiator core support attachment. It (core support) could well have a different part number due to some differences due to the different fenders' shapes which would attach to it or the presence of a few different holes needed for various things. I do recall noticing that the inner door shell stampings (the part the outer door skin attaches to) looks pretty much identical to what our '66 Town Sedan had on it, which means that all weatherstrips should work, as well as the window regulators and related items.

Just working from my understandings of how things work in the design and assembly processes, over the years. Plus having our '66 Town Sedan (growing up with it) and my '67 CE23, too.

With all of the similarities, do NOT expect the '68 to "feel" exactly the same as the '66, though. At least that's been my observation, over the years. Or perhaps it's just the way a 4dr sedan feels different from a 2dr hardtop or convertible. Each a slightly bit different, but from the same family?

Hope this might help. Glad you've located a replacement this soon!
CBODY67

As stated above, most of the mechanics between the two are the same. On the bad side NONE of the body panels will interchange if you wanted to use it for parts for Tilly.

One positive thing about the newer C-body: In 1967 they switched to a collapsible steering column. That means, in a serious front-end collision, the driver is more likely to survive instead of being impaled on the steering column.

The '68 Plymouth manual is available for download. The Fury will share a lot of the same components with the Chrysler. Engine/trans/rear/suspension is going to be 99.9% the same. Difference will be in the body. I think you'll find underhood wiring to be very close too.

I've bought several manuals from Faxon and found them to be a good, clean copy of the FSM. 1968 Chrysler Shop Manual CD 68 Imperial 300 New Yorker Newport Repair Service | eBay

One positive thing about the newer C-body: In 1967 they switched to a collapsible steering column. That means, in a serious front-end collision, the driver is more likely to survive instead of being impaled on the steering column.
I've read that the federal mandate kicked in a year later, in 1968. Regardless, I agree with the point you make: the column is a good reason to buy a later car.

I've read that the federal mandate kicked in a year later, in 1968. Regardless, I agree with the point you make: the column is a good reason to buy a later car.
I thought it was 67, since they significantly redesigned the dashboard in 67 vs the 65-66 design, but perhaps the collapsible column was fitted in 68. I'm sure someone with a '67 will be along shortly to confirm either way. :)

Only difference I’d think about is having to go thru the hassle of emissions. Im pretty sure you said that you’re in Tucson. Hopefully it’s not as strict down there as in Maricopa country. I always felt the fix was in as most of my favorite cars were built after ‘66. 1968 is great. My 68 Fury convertible wasn’t much different from my 65 Polara convertible. You’ll like it and it’s going to be more modern LoL. Glad things are looking up. I never got to replace my mustang when a red light runner tore the front off it. Like you, we were just lucky to be okay. Good luck & post pics.

Hopefully it’s not as strict down there as in Maricopa country.
Unfortunately for Gerry, I'm pretty sure Pima follows the same regs as Maricopa...which suck. Historic Vehicle plate gets you around that so long as you carry collector's car insurance. Yet another reason why I live in Yavapai county!

Way to make Lemonade Gerald! :thumbsup:

Yowza! HAD to learn the recipe bro! Take 1 partially crushed Mopar C body, add tears, wails, curses, laments, blend to taste, then vomit. Next, add 2 parts prayer and humility, grovel, and VOILA! Add 1 1968 Newport Convertible! Chill and taste How Sweet it Is!

The '68 Plymouth manual is available for download. The Fury will share a lot of the same components with the Chrysler. Engine/trans/rear/suspension is going to be 99.9% the same. Difference will be in the body. I think you'll find underhood wiring to be very close too.

I've bought several manuals from Faxon and found them to be a good, clean copy of the FSM. 1968 Chrysler Shop Manual CD 68 Imperial 300 New Yorker Newport Repair Service | eBay

Thanx John, got that, also the '67 Dodge Monaco and Polara one. Will buy the Detroit Iron CD too, as they're nicely divided into handy chapter length files, and have a few easter eggs. Worth the Rock Auto price for sure.

Unfortunately for Gerry, I'm pretty sure Pima follows the same regs as Maricopa...which suck. Historic Vehicle plate gets you around that so long as you carry collector's car insurance. Yet another reason why I live in Yavapai county!

GOOD to KNOW. I planned to get more Higgh Zoot insurance, for sure. God-willing, IU WILL do same for Mathilda, once we get her a new stub frame and can get her rolling right again. She'll be ugly, but I'm not letting my babies be hostage to a 1 car family situation again, God-willing!

Only difference I’d think about is having to go thru the hassle of emissions. Im pretty sure you said that you’re in Tucson. Hopefully it’s not as strict down there as in Maricopa country. I always felt the fix was in as most of my favorite cars were built after ‘66. 1968 is great. My 68 Fury convertible wasn’t much different from my 65 Polara convertible. You’ll like it and it’s going to be more modern LoL. Glad things are looking up. I never got to replace my mustang when a red light runner tore the front off it. Like you, we were just lucky to be okay. Good luck & post pics.

Sigh, I KNOW. My love for the '66 comes in no small measure from this FACT; though I suspect the radical tree-huggers will have a stab at subverting that long held clause anyway. BTW the INTRUSIVE AS HELL seat-belt laws also exempt pre-1967 machines, though I've used kiddie seats since First Copy issued from the womb 6 yrs ago. My Little Shits figured out how to pop the damned buckles on those around 18 months age, and had finger strength to do so not long after then. To wit: teaching them Newton's Laws, as opposed to those of power-mongers has always been my method. Still, I really have to thank God for sparing my little one so far.

Rest assured, I'll post pics, give the New Member of Familiarum Mauritius her Unveiling soon here!

MOST REASSURING!! I saw the rag joint coupling. THAT looks identical w the older one, but a collapsible steering column helps. I saw the original Bendix dual pot master cylinder and a brake booster too. Wife and I don't like power brakes. That should be an easy deletion. One of Y'all might get a brake booster from us, OR I might look into a vacuum can or electric vac pump for that.... Ideas already buzzing in the Engineering Lobes.

Bless Wirtmann's soul! I VASTLY prefer Engineering done with Slide Rule, martini's and cigars to digital masturbation!

Back