How far would you go?

[QUOTE="The Horvaths,
Why would you paint the engine bay and clear coat the rest of the car?[/QUOTE]

Why not ?

Last edited:
[QUOTE="The Horvaths,
Why would you paint the engine bay and clear coat the rest of the car?
Why not ?
I go back to my original thoughts. New engine bay, old exterior. Yuck. Especially on a one owner original paint car.
But I'm not the owner. Do what YOU want, Eddie.

My vote is do the engine bay. Nothing more satisfying than popping the hood and seeing a clean engine and bay.

i vote on "do it now"...i regret not doing the firewall on mine when the engine was out...now a look at it with regret...

I’ll probably err on the side of refinishing it as best I can. I’ll clean sand and paint. I see problems getting parts that break. That just drags stuff out but so be it. It will be a source of pride every time I open it.

I don’t really see doing the exterior anytime soon. The main body has great ‘patina’ and no real rust except for a round a few whiskey dents. The top is worn back to primer and the whole car is begging to be cleared and polished as is. New running gear and new interior and it will work. You walk up not sure what to expect and then ‘bam’ brand new!

Car came from NC. The old guy that bought it new that I got it from said he had trouble some nights getting it in the garage because of its size. He called them whiskey dents.

Patina is Ok but clear coat is not a good idea. It kills Patina. Just keep a light coat of oil on the bare metal areas.

I guess I'm a "sleeper" kind of guy, I will very happily drive something that looks like crap as long as it runs like a Swiss watch. Even better to see the reaction when you lift the hood to show a mint looking engine bay with a smooth running detailed engine. A lot of people got sucked in by my '78 IHC Scout, 345 V8, 4x4, locking diff's front and back. Probably my favorite ride of all time.

Scout 11.JPG

I’ll probably err on the side of refinishing it as best I can. I’ll clean sand and paint. I see problems getting parts that break. That just drags stuff out but so be it. It will be a source of pride every time I open it.

I don’t really see doing the exterior anytime soon. The main body has great ‘patina’ and no real rust except for a round a few whiskey dents. The top is worn back to primer and the whole car is begging to be cleared and polished as is. New running gear and new interior and it will work. You walk up not sure what to expect and then ‘bam’ brand new!

If I was you, I'd clean the engine bay as thoroughly and as best I could and see how it looks. It may surprise you how good it will come out. Didn't @CanCritter clean up an engine bay for @Dobalovr that came out pretty nice? Or was that somebody else?

For the record, these are whiskey dents. Created by using the car to find the borders of the garage and not your eyes.

BTW thanks for the tip in the clear. Oil likely would be better and the rest of the car doesn’t need much.
8A9D7AAF-612C-40AD-A4F3-70ECE96394DA.jpeg
B459B031-A979-4133-9461-CC44902325C6.jpeg
1C4A17B9-837A-4126-88F2-C9D28EB88030.jpeg

BFCC0CBD-0DCE-4095-BCD2-B6286846DD3D.jpeg
2503598B-FAC4-4351-B2A0-7FFF506A88DF.jpeg

If I was you, I'd clean the engine bay as thoroughly and as best I could and see how it looks. It may surprise you how good it will come out. Didn't @CanCritter clean up an engine bay for @Dobalovr that came out pretty nice? Or was that somebody else?

@CanCritter did a fabulous job on the engine bay of his 70 Fury so I set him loose on my 70 300....he is meticulas to a fault!
99657F40-E41B-4269-B203-CFD615596FAB.jpeg
B1F5FB6D-D4D5-477C-9D54-4E11E8F82B2B.jpeg
E3A2C3E4-16C0-4C47-ABF3-FA0A3FA2FE32.jpeg
CBD8623D-1589-4813-AB2A-68F17553340C.jpeg
B445C22C-519B-42D8-9AAC-72BC436B38C6.jpeg
4DA2C7B5-0CF7-4C53-B0F7-7D0BBEA72B60.jpeg

My inner fenders are body color down to the frame. This car looks black. Firewall is body color here. Aren’t all mopar engine bays basically body color or are some black? I was thinking I was going to have to go back to body color in the engine bay.

My inner fenders are body color down to the frame. This car looks black. Firewall is body color here. Aren’t all mopar engine bays basically body color or are some black? I was thinking I was going to have to go back to body color in the engine bay.
Pre ‘69 I think were all body color.

Back