How many horsies can it handle?

Oh WOW I thought you were talking about an aftermarket set up like I put on the Dak.. Didn't know they did that on Mopars.

They had air ride suspension on 74/75 Imps and I'm not sure about the NY'ers.....I know 1978 for sure.

I'm curious about this ladder bar setup you were talking about, is this a DIY or who is it available from?

A couple thoughts - Teh 2.76 gear will put a big strain on the mounts and driveline. I'd make sure you use a urethane trans mount and either chain it or make sure the mounts you do use are safety mounts (can't pull clean apart). C bodies have a lot of mass to et going so things need to be tightened up a bit - especially if you run a gear like that. personally I'd run either 3.23 or 3.55s and a tall tire. I've broken 3-pinion planetaries, the rear sprague, the tailshaft housing, twisted a driveshaft out, and bent the floorpan up at various times in my past. And that was with a 383 and nitrous. Some thoughts on the rear suspension - Ladder bars are good, but will require a lot of fabrication, inclduing reinforcing the floorand rear frame rails because hte existing shock crossmember is not designed to carry the full weight. If it were me - I'd make custom leaf spring packs and use multiple hole front hangers and/or blocks to lower the car. Don't waste money on traction bars on a factory leaf spring Mopar. The way a Mopar works is the front segment of the factory spring is a traction bar in and of itself, and the snubber is the travel limiter. So properly set the ride height and then set the snubber distance to the floor. I'd also add a 1/4" plate to the floorpan where the snubber hits because that deforms under heavy load.

Thanks, moper, always nice to hear from somebody who has found the weak link & broken the **** out of it so I don't have to.

I really can't see myself living with that 2.76 for very long. I'm not building a hot rod but I'll prolly beat on her pretty hard anyway....

Thanks, moper, always nice to hear from somebody who has found the weak link & broken the **** out of it so I don't have to.

I really can't see myself living with that 2.76 for very long. I'm not building a hot rod but I'll prolly beat on her pretty hard anyway....

You'll need one of these......

dcc-3690182_ml.jpg

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/dcc-3690182/overview/

I really only got started with C bodies to get drivelines for my E bodies. But - when my Cuda was totalled and the Newport was sitting waiting for the engine to come out - I registered the car. I proceeded to really enjoy that car. It ended up a 440/4sp but before it ran I had to clear my shop so that car was worth the least and had to go. Two years ago I found a bought a '69 300 with no options except power steering and brakes and the same color to recreate that car. It's hands down my favorite personal mopar - and that's with owning Cudas from 70-74, including a '71 340 ragtop and 71 440+6 4sp, a smattering of Challengers, and A bodies from 65-72.

IMHO, no traction bars needed (they were meant for teh GM cars) and don't bother with the pinion snubber. If you really need to get serious, clamp the front half of the spring in a couple spots and call it a day.

Here's a pic from way back in the early seventies. Stock rear springs with the front clamped, 9" tires and am 8 3/4 rear. No pinion snubber (not even the stock one).

scan0001.jpg

Same car in bracket race trim with 10 1/2 tires and same setup. I musta been playing games with the times that day because the car ran a lot faster.

scan9.jpg

scan0001.jpg

scan9.jpg

Hey, Big John, that's one cool car. I don't know how you ever stop racing.

I'm not looking for traction though, I just want an adjustable ride height.

Hey, Big John, that's one cool car. I don't know how you ever stop racing.

Thanks, sold it to buy my house almost 30 years ago now. Still in the same house too!

I quit and actually had to stay away from the dragstrip for a few years. I ventured back a couple times with street cars and discovered I still was addicted. Again I stayed away... Years later, I tried some autocrossing with my sons. Stopped that when my sons couldn't go with me anymore, but that kind of racing never did it to me like drag racing.

Every once in a while, I still get the urge to go back. My old friend... The late "Nitrous" John Gosson, once told me that drag racing was like heroin... and I believe that.

Back