how much paint will i need 73 chrysler new yorker brougham

sidsnot

Reaction score
hi looking to paint my new yorker in metallic red white roof ,how much paint do yo
20160321_160115_resized.jpg
u think i will need

What brand as they has a big impact on coverage and therefore amount of paint. You could use top of the line PPG base and get coverage in two good coats while in the Omni or Shopline need 3-4 coats. I assume this will be solvent bc/cc.

What type of gun? Standard or HVLP? Standard guns waste more paint into over spray landing everywhere except the car.

At a minimum a gallon of the red yet quality will be the final determining factor. The white top will be less than 1 qt for sure. Last check out the mix ratio to calculate how many sprayable quarts you end up with. If I remember correctly PPG DBC base mixes 1:1 with base and reducer yielding 2 gallons.

I can't quote your quantity however looking at that one pic, I am wondering if you're going to remove the handles and bumpers? Well worth it at this point, and No! Not Red! The Blue is nice. Looks solid.

2 - 3 base + 2 - 3 clear, right?

He should get by with two sprayable gallons of color. However, that is the exterior of the car. If all the jambs, the underside of the hood, and trunk lid are included then he will need more. So if he is changing color the professional way then probably two gallons of good base yielding 4 total gallons. Still depending on equipment and paint brand. Clear is pretty much the same as far as mix and yield. If it is a top clear, and your technique is good then two medium wet coats will work. If your learning and there the chance of trash in the clear then three coats so you can cut and buff safely one of the coats to eliminate trash and bad peel.

Wonder if this is the first time painting? If so single stage would be a heck of a lot easier first time out but needs to be solid. Metallic paints are more demanding when it comes to getting an even spread of the metallic particles on the panels and not have tiger stripes. Fortunately base metallic is the only way to go as you can correct mistakes over and over unlike on single stage solids.

Jams? inside trunk? Inside hood? firewall?
I used 2 gallons of Black and 1 gallon of White, this was Nason BC/CC

Alan

The shop that's painting my Polara purchased three gal. of paint, trunk, jams, floors, etc.

I sprayed my 68 Fury last summer with HVLP gun (base + clear). It took 1.5 gallons of base + whatever the amount of reducer was supposed to be added (I think ratio was 4:1). I did engine compartment, door jambs, underside of hood, trunk, etc. Put 3 coats of base + 1 mist coat. Still have a pint of base left.
20151004_135418.jpg

Hmmm decisions decisions, does it make a difference as far as home much paint you use verses the way you paint ??

rollonpaint2-620x377.jpg

P1010017bb.jpg

the-most-interesting-man-in-the-world-meme-generator-i-don-t-always-get-confused-but-when-i-do-i-make-a-meme-about-it-7e0670.jpg

With enough sanding, Even Rustoleum applied with a roller produces a top notch job. There's an epic thread on Moparts about it.

With enough sanding, Even Rustoleum applied with a roller produces a top notch job. There's an epic thread on Moparts about it.

Years ago when I worked for a local electrical contractor (Re-Jan electric) during our slow times I helped paint several of their fine outstanding fleet machines with paint brush and rollers and surprising some of them did not come out half bad. We pop riveted some scrap metal and slapped on bondo and painted they sure looked good from afar ........ (2 towns away) but not bad .....

I think that car would look fabulous in metallic red.

Let's face it, many original fusie colors are BORING! Of course not all, but many. So why paint them back boring if the original color isn't good any more?

Uhhmm, I see people gathering stones... Hey, all of you who love GREEN, you're free to shoot first! lol

There was one on the HAMB too. I think they even took it a little farther with alternate brands and thinning solvents.

I'd try it on the right car.

Back in 2005 I was in Cuba and I saw a guy painting his car with what looked like exterior house paint, a nice robins egg blue. Anyway I happened by about 8 or 9 days later and saw the finished job. He and a small army of kids had wet sanded it to near glass smoothness, hand rubbed it with very fine rotten stone, then hand buffed and waxed. The result was spectacular, although I don't know how long the shine survived in the hot sun.
Amazing people.

What type of paint was used in '73? Acrylic enamel?

I am wondering because I'm about to do a little touch-up in certain areas and need to order the proper primer. Don't want any bubbling!

I was looking at Eastwood's Epoxy primer or the urethane primer in grey, which is available in an aerosol spray.

1 Gallon Sherwin-Williams Industrial Oil-base enamel
+
1 Foam roller
+
some wet sanding
=
SU1HMDAzOTctMjAxMTA0MjMtMTcxMS5qcGc.jpg

Display inside the plant that made many of your C-body panels
SU1HMDA2NjItMjAxMTA3MTItMDg0Ni5qcGc.jpg

SU1HMDA2NjEtMjAxMTA3MTItMDg0NC5qcGc.jpg

Still looks good 5 years later, never seen the inside of a garage.
SU1HLTIwMTQxMTA0LTAwMzYxLmpwZw_zps0a61a4dc.jpg

Is it appropriate for a worktruck that you don't want looking like an eyesore at your house? Yes.

Low-buck way to keep rust away until the $$ arrive for a better paint job? Yes.

Would I paint a show vehicle using this method? No.

Back