65 New Yorker, first project car

drtrubs

Reaction score
I have a 1965 New Yorker that i received as a gift when graduating college. I have had it repainted but now getting to some mechanical issues. I have some experience but it is limited. I need some guidance on how to evaluate the car and start his project. I have recently had it painted and am starting the mechanical restoration.

I am not looking to break the bank nor win any competitions. My goal for this car is to have a reliable restoration I can drive 3-5 hours on the road to a yearly golf trip.

I have the service manual for the car but finding a trustworthy mechanic to help is overwhelming.

Any guidance would be grateful.

Seems like there are several Mopar clubs in that region. You might meet and network with some of those members as to who knows what they are looking at when diagnosing vintage vehicles' issues. There can also be some members in here that are in that general region, too.

Welcome and take care,
CBODY67

Simple stuff first. It doesn't matter how good or bad it runs and drives. But, you have to stop. Youtube is full awash with channels of folks doing brake "rebuilds" before they do anything major. Start there, get your feet wet with that and the rest will follow. FSMs are great but they were written for the mechanic, try to find an old Haynes manual to walk you through. They were written for the Layman. Doing this, you'll soon discover how much has changed in cars since yours was built and really how much hasn't.
Good luck!

I have a 1965 New Yorker that i received as a gift when graduating college. I have had it repainted but now getting to some mechanical issues. I have some experience but it is limited. I need some guidance on how to evaluate the car and start his project. I have recently had it painted and am starting the mechanical restoration.

I am not looking to break the bank nor win any competitions. My goal for this car is to have a reliable restoration I can drive 3-5 hours on the road to a yearly golf trip.

I have the service manual for the car but finding a trustworthy mechanic to help is overwhelming.

Any guidance would be grateful.
It would probably help a lot if you gave us some idea about what the mechanical issues are. Don't give an "everything" answer... You need to methodically list what the car needs and then prioritize. Then you need to look at that list and ask what you can do yourself. Always put brakes first with suspension being a very close second.

Once you have figured that out then that will help find the proper shop. For example, if you need suspension work, you might not want to go to a shop that specializes in air conditioning. With that in mind, there are a lot of jobs that can be done at home without needing years of mechanical experience... and some that an inexperienced guy might want to have someone else do.

Another thing that I see here quite often is getting bad advice from mechanics. A lot of the "updates" that are recommended are just good ways to waste your money.

Use discretion when looking up You Tube videos on how to do a particular job. There are many good ones out there but there are also ones that should not be because some folks just don’t have a clue. This goes for any type of how to video.

One issue, due to the car's age, is the fuel system. Do change the fuel filter and DO change all of the rubber fuel lines between the tank and the carburetor. Other than normal age issues, ethanol'd fuels dry the rubber from the inside out. What might look good can leak next week, for example. There's a short piece at the tank, a short piece under the rh frt passenger floor board, and the rubber at the fuel pump and fuel filter areas. It ALL needs to be new, quality Gates-brand line. DO plan on a new fuel pump, too, and a new fuel pump push rod (with hardened ends) while you're there.

Brakes is another area where "time" can play havoc. Brake fluid absorbs moisture, which is not good for the metal in the brake master cylinder or the wheel cylinders. For general performance, the power brakes can be more touchy than the later power disc brake systems we now have. So unless you want to "eat steering wheel", use less initial pressure than you might be used to, until you get used to the car. The brakes worked well and can work well again, too.

Some might recommend changing to a '67 or '68-spec dual master cylinder, with related lines. Same booster, just change the master cyl and lines to hook everything up. THEN replace the rubber brake lines. 2 on the front and 1 at the rear axle.

Ignition system? The orig system was a "points" system. Which means the ignition points need to be changed every so often. When the cars were newer and points systems were all we had, we could get about 15K miles between changes. Easy to do, BUT also remember to lube the rubbing block on the points when they are changed. Might need to buy a tube of points lube from Summit Racing to get some. Back then, every set of points came with a small vial of such grease, but by the 1980s most had ceased to put the vial in the new points boxes. It is vital to the longevity and less wear of the rubbing block and breaker cam.

Suspension? A good set of HD shocks is all you need for a firm and comfortable ride. Many suspension shops used to scam Chrysler owners by telling them they needed new lower ball joints when they were "in spec" and fine. By comparison, we always took our Chrysler to the local smaller-town dealer and got the alignments. NEVER bought any ball joints, either. Which means they will go past 150K easily with only normal grease additions, from our experiences. Do check the steering linkages, too, but with normal grease additions, they are very long-livefd, too.

Steering? You'll notice how nicely it steers, but possibly with a bit of vagueness "on-denter". THAT is adjusted with a special spanner wrench on the INPUT side of the steering gear, after the lower "rag joint" and "coupler" at the base of the steering column have been checked for age-wear. Adjusting at "the top" of the gear will not affect this issue, from my experience. Play this "by ear".

14" whitewall tires are still around, just have to look for them. Hankook is one brand. P225/75R-14 is the size. About 32psi frt/30psi rr pressures can work well. Maybe 2-3psi more? Plenty of load capacity at those pressures.

Past these things, just normal maintenance and such. In belts and hoses, buy the good Gates Green-Stripe items for best longevity and service.

Might need, as things progress, to get the fuel tank removed and cleaned, or replaced. Usually, the tanks are about $325.00 or so new (shop price). Add in some new fuel lines for good measure (Fine Lines or similar). Be sure to make sure the gauge ground strap/clamp at the fuel sender is grounded on both ends! OR the gauge will not work right.

Might also need to do a complete fuel system "rinse" as a "flush" can cause issues with the heater core. If you also, for good measure, change the block core plugs, no real need for caustic flush chemicals. Might need to also get the radiator cleaned, too.

DO network with the local Mopar club members to seek out places that can do these things AND know what they are looking at on vintage Chrysler products.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

This is all good advice. The problem I see is that we do not know his skill level working on cars whether new or old. Brakes are a very important safety feature, and things can go wrong if you have no experience at all. My advice would be to find someone that can do brakes and work along or with that person's guidance.

You mentioned the cost of repair and maintenance. It will need a lot of parts, now and later.
Explore the RockAuto web site and get familiar with how the site works and their combined shipping and wholesale closeout offerings.
A decent complete set of good basic tools will save a lot of frustration. Harbor Freight offers lifetime warranty on their cheapest hand tools. You will break a few but it's a walk-in replacement deal, no receipt needed. You must have the tools, no way around it.
Start looking for a good used floor jack and jack stands.
There are a lot of repairs that call for special tools. Most of those repairs can be performed with alternative methods, just ask here.
The car "must" have shelter to survive and for maintenance and repair work. If you don't have a garage or carport, then I suggest a portable garage if you have a place to erect one. The 10x17 Harbor Freight for $175 on sale is a good candidate. They last about 3 years. 12x20 would be better but look to spend $400 for that. Make ABSOLUTLY sure it's one that goes up one side, across the top, and down the other side in one piece of cover, with ratchet hold down straps on the ends. KEEP THE CAR DRY!
The most important thing is to get it in your head that it can be done, you can do it, and you are going to do it.

One thing I figured out ages ago is that there are some things best left to others (who have done it before and KNOW what they are doing) than to do it myself. Brakes is one of them. I can do shocks and master cyl swaps, but not ball joints. In other words, it might be better for someone else to do the "safety related" items instead of doing them myself. That way, if something goes wrong, it's on them and not me. Ign points, plugs, wires, carburetors, no problem. I'd seen enough of them done and read all about them in several publications, so that I had a good working knowledge of what was going on and how it should end up. Didn't happen over-night, either.

I completely concur, keep the car reliably sheltered at all times. In prior times, I might have suggested getting a storage space in a quality facility, but now some of those are owned by investor grouips who want "passive income" and the prices have skyrocketed to close to $300.00/month for what cost $135.00/month several years ago. Price shop bigtime! This way, the car is sheltered in a locked space and protected. The way weather patterns have been changing of late, this might be a good option.

Tools? Youi might watch for estate sales or similar, hoping to find some good OLDER Craftsman tools at a good price. HFreight might have some good prices, but the quality can be lower in some cases, by observations. They do have some good stuff, though. They periodically have sales on jack stands and such. Get set-up to receive email notification of their sales and coupon events. Get a creeper, too, or scrounge some big pieces of cardboard to lay on. Might be a reason to buy a big screen tv? A drain pan you can carry around, too.

Ta,e care,
CBODY67

Lets start with this; what mechanical problems is it having?? Are there pics maybe and a general idea of the cars condition in the welcome section here?? Whatever you can tell us about the car will help.
Welcome to the group!

Yes, welcome fellow Ohioan! I'd be curious as to the condition and history of the gift car before you got it. I had a nice afternoon motoring around my '65 6-window Town Sedan, a pleasure as always.

With my '65, I went through just about everything...brake lines, hoses, cylinders; pumps, hoses, belts, carb rebuild, radiator service; I paid a good shop about $700 to do the front-end rebuild, I supplied the rebuild kit from EBAY (American made kit, before someone decides to make an issue of that).

If you are fairly new to working on cars and old cars, then an old car mentor will be a big help to you; if you can find a seasoned collector or enthusiast with lots of mechanical experience, then that's the kind of guy you want to get to know. Personally I'd be happy to show a young guy the ropes, since so few young guys have interest in old cars. Go to some cruise-ins and car shows, and talk to the folks there and maybe you can find someone who will take you under his wing so-to-speak....most car guys are really friendly and eager to help.

And ask all the questions you want here on this forum. Most of the guys here are very nice and helpful.

Cheers from Tampa.

113_1388.JPG

113_1393.JPG

113_1370.JPG

Teh OlineImperialClub has all of the Mopar MasterTech service filmstips and books posted. They add a lot to the factory shop manual.
Mark

One issue, due to the car's age, is the fuel system. Do change the fuel filter and DO change all of the rubber fuel lines between the tank and the carburetor. Other than normal age issues, ethanol'd fuels dry the rubber from the inside out. What might look good can leak next week, for example. There's a short piece at the tank, a short piece under the rh frt passenger floor board, and the rubber at the fuel pump and fuel filter areas. It ALL needs to be new, quality Gates-brand line. DO plan on a new fuel pump, too, and a new fuel pump push rod (with hardened ends) while you're there.

Brakes is another area where "time" can play havoc. Brake fluid absorbs moisture, which is not good for the metal in the brake master cylinder or the wheel cylinders. For general performance, the power brakes can be more touchy than the later power disc brake systems we now have. So unless you want to "eat steering wheel", use less initial pressure than you might be used to, until you get used to the car. The brakes worked well and can work well again, too.

Some might recommend changing to a '67 or '68-spec dual master cylinder, with related lines. Same booster, just change the master cyl and lines to hook everything up. THEN replace the rubber brake lines. 2 on the front and 1 at the rear axle.

Ignition system? The orig system was a "points" system. Which means the ignition points need to be changed every so often. When the cars were newer and points systems were all we had, we could get about 15K miles between changes. Easy to do, BUT also remember to lube the rubbing block on the points when they are changed. Might need to buy a tube of points lube from Summit Racing to get some. Back then, every set of points came with a small vial of such grease, but by the 1980s most had ceased to put the vial in the new points boxes. It is vital to the longevity and less wear of the rubbing block and breaker cam.

Suspension? A good set of HD shocks is all you need for a firm and comfortable ride. Many suspension shops used to scam Chrysler owners by telling them they needed new lower ball joints when they were "in spec" and fine. By comparison, we always took our Chrysler to the local smaller-town dealer and got the alignments. NEVER bought any ball joints, either. Which means they will go past 150K easily with only normal grease additions, from our experiences. Do check the steering linkages, too, but with normal grease additions, they are very long-livefd, too.

Steering? You'll notice how nicely it steers, but possibly with a bit of vagueness "on-denter". THAT is adjusted with a special spanner wrench on the INPUT side of the steering gear, after the lower "rag joint" and "coupler" at the base of the steering column have been checked for age-wear. Adjusting at "the top" of the gear will not affect this issue, from my experience. Play this "by ear".

14" whitewall tires are still around, just have to look for them. Hankook is one brand. P225/75R-14 is the size. About 32psi frt/30psi rr pressures can work well. Maybe 2-3psi more? Plenty of load capacity at those pressures.

Past these things, just normal maintenance and such. In belts and hoses, buy the good Gates Green-Stripe items for best longevity and service.

Might need, as things progress, to get the fuel tank removed and cleaned, or replaced. Usually, the tanks are about $325.00 or so new (shop price). Add in some new fuel lines for good measure (Fine Lines or similar). Be sure to make sure the gauge ground strap/clamp at the fuel sender is grounded on both ends! OR the gauge will not work right.

Might also need to do a complete fuel system "rinse" as a "flush" can cause issues with the heater core. If you also, for good measure, change the block core plugs, no real need for caustic flush chemicals. Might need to also get the radiator cleaned, too.

DO network with the local Mopar club members to seek out places that can do these things AND know what they are looking at on vintage Chrysler products.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

The biggest issue right now is the fuel system. Currently not getting any gas. Have a family friend mechanic helping me look at the fuel line, fuel pump, and fuel filter in the upcoming weeks.

The right rear break is locked up so will work on breaks after the engine is running again. Am thinking about trying to upgrade the fronts to disc breaks via a conversion kit for safety and the weight of the car. The ignition was replaced before I got it so no need for anything there.

drtrubs......I would not spend the money on the disc brake conversion. The big drums and shoes on the '65 NYer are MORE than adequate to stop the car. I have drums on my '63 Riviera, '67 Newport, and '65 NYer, and they work perfectly fine.

By observation, Chrysler was NOT known for putting out vehicles with brakes which were not up to the weight of the car. They were very good back then and no reason for them not to be similar again. Like any car back then, you had to try to not lock-up any wheel when stopping. But this was a known thing as we were taught about how to not lock-up any wheels when braking, in driver's ed classes.

Disc brakes offer more fade resistance than drum brakes ever can, even with the high-metallic performance brake linings of back then. THAT is the reason for disc brakes, plus less assembly time on the assy line (a key thing, which is more important than fade resistance to the OEMs' bottom line).

IF you decide to go ahead with the disc brake upgrade, get used FACTORY parts, rebuild them, and use them rather than any aftermarket kit. The factory parts are more robust in nature for better long-term durability and service. Use the factory-spec power brake booster too, rather than one from a "will fit" aftermarket catalog. Should be some threads in here on what to get.

Do do the dual master cyl change.

Agree with CBODY67, dual-pot master cylinder. INLINE TUBE sells a distribution block (brass) to do the conversion, it's about $50 if I recall.

I have done this re-plumbing on my '65 NYer and my '63 Riviera. I always replace the brake lines and soft hoses as well as the wheel cylinders, brake hardware, and brake shoes if they are worn.

Drums work fine, just not as fine as disc, but just fine none the less.
Check the new or just machined used drums with a dial indicator before they are installed. That's the source of most of the dissatisfaction associated with otherwise good drum systems. Close to round isn't close enough. They must be perfect to stop perfect.

Greetings from the western (forgotten) side of the state.
Glad to see another '65.
Picked mine up a couple of yeas ago from Wisconsin. Flew up and drove it back.
Over the years, only a couple of Chrysler products left me stranded. A '73 /6 Dart (electronic ignition module) and a PT Cruiser. Never did figure out what the problem was - sold it.
Do not be in a big hurry for "upgrades". As stated, the '65 as it was built, is more than adequate. Just keep in mind that it is 59 years old and it will not drive like a 'new' car.
Mine still has drum brakes (power) and the brakes are the smallest used on 'C' bodies (according to Craig 'Mobile Parts'). They will stop the 2 tons of Detroit steel from 80 mph in a fairly short distance.
Good Luck and Good Hunting with your project.

As Purchased:
1965-chrysler-newport (8).jpg
May 2022 (latest pic)IMG_1180.JPG

Am thinking about trying to upgrade the fronts to disc breaks via a conversion kit
A lot of the conversion kits we've seen lately have a lot of issues. First and foremost is the disc size in small, basically sized so it fits cars like early Mustangs that are much lighter. Then there's trying to make the conversion's master cylinder/booster combo bolt up... The kits use a GM (I think early Corvette) master and booster and getting it to bolt up so the pedal works as it should seems to be a challenge for a lot of guys.

If you really want to install disc brakes, use the later (early 70's) Mopar OEM stuff... You'll be happier.

That said, the '65 New Yorker has some big drums on them that work quite well and a lot of us have kept the drums.

Back