How to find that leak

mag162

Reaction score
So I will be replacing the floor pans in my 67 Fury wagon fairly soon and really need to find where the water comes in?
Any tips or ideas as to how to go about it or where to start?

A/C cars have a evaporator drain hose that may come loose, split or just clog up and allow condensation to collect on the passenger floor.
Also the windshield wiper pivots have a seal that can allow water to enter and collect under the carpet.

front cowl, footwell fresh air vents, triangle windows are more places. behind door panels make sure the plastic is in place and is good.

try not to die -

- saylor

Once you have the carpet, seats and trim out, sometimes the best method is to just sit in the car when it starts to rain out and see if you can spot where the water is coming from. Night time with a flashlight works the best. Making your own rain with a hose or sprinkler may work too, but there are cars that will only leak with the real thing.

Jeff

C-bodies don't use wiper seals, the pivots are mounted externally to the cowl sealing. That's an A-body problem, I believe.

As mentioned, check the kickpanel vents - more specifically, the drainage out of them at the base, behind the fender's trailing section. If those drains block, water can rise enough to overflow the vent and get into the car.

If the car has had enough debris get into the cowl grille at the base of the windshield, and accumulates and stays moist, it can rust the cowl out over the years. Those typically rust out thru the firewall, but I have seen one rust a pinky-length hole thru the rearward panel, which is the interior shell right behind the dashboard. It poured a significant portion of water in when the car was washed. Unfortunately the way those cowl panels are welded together (the metal's shape, that is) it causes troughs and seams where debris can sit. I would encourage all of us to keep that cowl rinsed out periodically if the car sits under any trees.

And of course the AC drain tube and windshield leaks should be evaluated too..

Once you have the carpet, seats and trim out, sometimes the best method is to just sit in the car when it starts to rain out and see if you can spot where the water is coming from. Night time with a flashlight works the best. Making your own rain with a hose or sprinkler may work too, but there are cars that will only leak with the real thing.

Jeff
I happened to find a couple spots in my car when I was swapping the interior, back window definitely gonna need some attention, ugh. Haven't checked the front yet, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a leak or two there also.

Back