How to identify road wheels

LocuMob

Fluid Technician with a hat
Reaction score
I came across some some wheels that look like road wheels, but I didn't see any obvious numbers on them to verify, and like an idiot, I didn't take a picture of them. I was fighting daylight, otherwise I would have scoured over them. I have dibs on them, but want to make sure they are what I think they are. They need a little cleaning but have the trim rings and center caps, but missing the center decorations. Is there a part number on the rim I can check? No tires so I can see every bit. They look just like the rims on @73 T&C's 78 NYB.

There are part numbers on them along with the size stamped into the steel. They will have a pentastar on them also ...
RoadWheels8[1].jpg

Stamped on the inner surface? Is the center attached from the backside with screws?

Yes and yes, the center caps (referred to as domes with the end piece referred to as the cap) are held on by self-tapping screws in most cases that screw in through the back. Keep in mind that GM used a non-chrome silver painted wheel for many years on pickups and vans.

Yes and yes, the center caps (referred to as domes with the end piece referred to as the cap) are held on by self-tapping screws in most cases that screw in through the back. Keep in mind that GM used a non-chrome silver painted wheel for many years on pickups and vans.
I remembered that GM used them, and not seeing numbers kept me from grabbing them. I also didn't have a tape measure to determine the bolt pattern.

There were also some AMC 15" wheels that looked very similar to the Chrysler wheels, EXCEPT no chrome around the slots, just silver paint. And an AMC-specific center cap assy that mimic'd the 1970 Chrysler center cap. Same bolt pattern as the Ford/Chrysler 4.5" bolt circle. The GM wheels would have GM markings on them with a 5x5 bolt pattern, plus the center caps went on from the front, through the center caps. AMC also had some painted Magnum 500 type wheels, too.

For about 6 months, we were an AMC/Jeep/Renault dealer. I found the AMC wheels in their microfiche, along with all of the factory hot rod stuff for AMC V-8s (including a 2x4bbl intake for a 343).

FWIW,
CBODY67

Wow i need a set like that for my 71 newyorker

When I get the time, I will be listing a very nice set of bare wheels on eBay with a separate listing for a set of 4 NOS wheel domes and splined end center caps.

FYI, in 1970, on Plymouth Fury GT's and S/23 models a non-chrome silver painted road wheel was standard and the chrome wheel was an option.

When I get the time, I will be listing a very nice set of bare wheels on eBay with a separate listing for a set of 4 NOS wheel domes and splined end center caps.

FYI, in 1970, on Plymouth Fury GT's and S/23 models a non-chrome silver painted road wheel was standard and the chrome wheel was an option.
And 70 had the body paint matched road wheel also my dads S23 had them.

And 70 had the body paint matched road wheel also my dads S23 had them.

I would like to see documentation of that option being available. In the late '70's or '80's Chrysler would put a urethane body color ring to cover the area normally painted silver.

Show me Chrysler documentation please, not an online decoder that says they were on vehicles up to 83 We know that.
The year in question was 70

Back