How to remove bushings from LCA and shaft

Here they are: the usual suspects.

IMAG1015.jpg

IMAG1015.jpg

Mine are at the machine shop as we speak. I figured since I have to send them out to be pressed in anyway, let them have the fun of getting them out. You're a better man than I am....
What do you think we're saving by doing it ourselves? At least a grand??

< Sent from my tablet >

Mine are at the machine shop as we speak. I figured since I have to send them out to be pressed in anyway, let them have the fun of getting them out. You're a better man than I am....
What do you think we're saving by doing it ourselves? At least a grand??

< Sent from my tablet >

Easily I would say unless labor is way cheaper down there and they charge for the time it actually takes them vs "the book" / computer system price which i say in jest

Are all of them made in China? My future son in law works at Advanced and he says its hit or miss, some are American made and others are made in China. Are all your Moog parts made in China or some of them?

When I did the Dodge 2 months ago all the parts were US made.

Just recently bought some original BMW parts as they still have most of the parts for 30 plus y/o cars available from the dealership when I did a complete front end rebuild and minor body work and even these came partially from Poland; well at least it's European production.

I just got a call from the machine shop. They aren't ready as scheduled for this morning because;
QUOTE:
..those %$#@^%$ bushings were the worst I have ever seen to remove.
UNQUOTE.....

Yes full membership in 2004

Right about that, as one oddity they did not adopt the Euro currency though and facing the crisis at the moment they skipped future plans for now.

I just got a call from the machine shop. They aren't ready as scheduled for this morning because;
QUOTE:

UNQUOTE.....

Good idea to let the shop do the work, guess you saved a couple of nerves by this.

Last edited:
The Poles do good work. They make excellent machine tools and CNCs.

Stan,

I used every one of those symbols when I removed my bushings.

Last edited:
Just picked the the control arms. He said, he never wants to do those again.
And this shop builds monster trucks and swamp buggies!
He quoted me $150 based on 2 hrs. work.
Took him 4 hours but he held the price at the 150 he quoted.
He'll definitely get all my future business!

So, anyway, I spent the day power washing the front end and cleaning everything up for paint.
Ordered all new front brake stuff since I'm invested up to my ears anyways so I said WTF...

A guy from Moparts is sending me the correct material to make new control arm splash shields.
No charge. All he asked was for my old ones so he can repop them. Another good guy!

Last edited:
I just did this for my '69 Polara. Luckily I'm a mechanical engineering student at UC-Denver and the prototyping machine shop has a press; I did all the bushings myself although it took a solid 5 hours, most of that wrestling with the LCA bushings. One of them actually ended up not seating all the way down in the arm; I was using an aluminum cylinder to grab the lip on the end of the bushing to press on and once it got about 3/32" away from the bottom the cylinder just started yielding and cupped around the bushing. I kept at it and just ended up bending the lip on the bushing instead of pressing it in more... Hopefully with that added distance the torsion bar will still seat all the way in, of course I will be super pissed if it doesn't.

Lesson learned: If you cut/chisel out the old LCA bushing cups, make sure you go over the inside bore of the arm very carefully and deburr and clean it the best you can!

I just did this for my '69 Polara. Luckily I'm a mechanical engineering student at UC-Denver and the prototyping machine shop has a press; I did all the bushings myself although it took a solid 5 hours, most of that wrestling with the LCA bushings. One of them actually ended up not seating all the way down in the arm; I was using an aluminum cylinder to grab the lip on the end of the bushing to press on and once it got about 3/32" away from the bottom the cylinder just started yielding and cupped around the bushing. I kept at it and just ended up bending the lip on the bushing instead of pressing it in more... Hopefully with that added distance the torsion bar will still seat all the way in, of course I will be super pissed if it doesn't.

Lesson learned: If you cut/chisel out the old LCA bushing cups, make sure you go over the inside bore of the arm very carefully and deburr and clean it the best you can!

We'll need some photos of this work over in your Super-Lite thread :)

Why did you cover the fenders ? Are you doing some touch ups/ detailing to frame and wheelhousings while at it ?

Rattle canning the inner fender well and stub frame.
The pic on the right only shows the inner fender painted. Well, not painted actually. 3M rattle can undercoat to dupilcate the 5 tons of Zeibart already there. Everything else will get Rustoleum Satin Black.

Last edited:
Back