Humorous story of one upmanship video. SR-71 pilot

Fantastic,,big SR-71 fan. Thanks for posting.

an SR-71 crew were listening in on a similar "match this" contest. A Cessna asked to clear to 4000 ft, a corporate jet requested clearance to 12,000, an airliner to 18,000, etc. Finally the SR-71 called ATC.
SR-71: "Request clearance to 80,000 ft"
Tower: "Just how in hell do you plan to get up there?"
SR-71: "Uh Tower, I'm descending to 80,000".

Look up (Sled Driver: Flying The World's Fastest Jet) by Brian Shul

Last edited:
That is super cool. Wright Patterson in Ohio had one (probably still does) that you can walk right up on and touch.

They have a SR-71 on display at the Smithsonian near the Ronald Reagan Airport in Virginia. Very nice museum if you are into aviation!

Lockheed SR-71 Blackbird

A19920072000CP09.jpg

deliveryService?id=NASM-NASM2013-02808.jpg

deliveryService?id=NASM-SI-92-14116.jpg

They have a SR-71 on display at the Smithsonian near the Ronald Reagan Airport in Virginia. Very nice museum if you are into aviation!

Lockheed SR-71 Blackbird

View attachment 161137

View attachment 161138

View attachment 161139
I am fascinated by aviation museums, but I think sticking with cars was the right choice for me. I do look at a machine like that SR-71 and just struggle to get my head around what a feat of engineering she is and how crazy the build and maintenance must have been on her...

I am fascinated by aviation museums, but I think sticking with cars was the right choice for me. I do look at a machine like that SR-71 and just struggle to get my head around what a feat of engineering she is and how crazy the build and maintenance must have been on her...

Nice side trip to Carlisle....

Very Funny. Whoever put together the video did an OUTSTANDING job, probably the best part of the story. But (based on 32 years of ATC experience) probably not a true story.

I have a couple friends who worked on SRs and U2s

Both remarkable planes especially considering they were designed using slide rules.
A fun fact-much of the titanium for the SR was aquired from Russia without their knowledge.

It's sad that in my 27 year A.F. career and 7000+ hours of flying, I never got the chance to Refuel a SR-71, But I did get to do the T-birds!
319.JPG

I never got to see a SR-71 up close, in my time at Barksdale we never had one come to the yearly air show.

Back