Hurricane Ian

I'd love to relocate to FL, but I'm one of those people who doesn't put a premium on proximity to beaches. I've spent a good amount of time in the Panhandle, and that is where I'd likely move to. It just seems far more relaxed there, to me.

I'd love to relocate to FL, but I'm one of those people who doesn't put a premium on proximity to beaches. I've spent a good amount of time in the Panhandle, and that is where I'd likely move to. It just seems far more relaxed there, to me.

The Redneck Riviera is calling.....

Keeping with the theme of vacationing during a hurricane, we got back from Florida on Sunday.

We were staying on Daytona Beach until they kicked us out on Tuesday. When I saw them putting sand bags by the front doors, I knew that it was time to leave. They relocated us to Orlando and we sat out the storm there with no issues.... Except for having to stay in Orlando...

Hurricane Nicole leaves scenes of destruction on Daytona Beach

You know... No one has ever told me I have to leave because of a snow storm...
Eh... New people (late comers) to the area buy land on stupid places that no one would build for decades because it was.... well **** land. Who's to blame? Well the Real Estate agents that DGAF and just want to sell and people that don't do enough research, you know the types the ones that come down on a 2 week vacation and think they fall in love with the area on that snapshot. I had no problems with IAN except for going around with a granny picker and collecting up all the Spanish Moss that blew in from the neighbors trees. I had so much I was thinking of bagging it up and selling it on eekBay for the model railroad builders to use as lichen shrubbery. lol
I see that's it's pretty pricey these days.
11-17-2022.Model Railroad Lichen.www.hobbylinc.com.jpg

I didn't have the Spanish Moss problem after Nicole came through, just one clump and 3 dead palm fronds.
Pretty much all the **** had been blown out by IAN. Nicole was a pretty good storm, but no power outages during either. Now the 'net during IAN was different as when the question too Dumantis came up about "100's of bodies" (I know where the comment came from) down in Ft. Myers... BOOM! The 'net went out all over here, I couldn't get it on my free area WiFi, cellular data on my phone & WWAN... nothing, got me looking around and thinking where is my box of old modems for POTS. Pretty suspicious and it makes me wonder if the 'net was turned off state wide. It took like 24hrs for it to come back.

Here's a picture of the river flooding up the road from me a day after IAN.

IMG_20220930_144834367.jpg

That house was funny as I met someone years ago up at the Bellaire Plaza Turkey Run that was trying to sell me his Dodge 426 wedge car. In talking to him I learned that he had just bought this house and I remembered the man cave garage as I drove by it many times as he had all his 'toys' parked outside, you know the '57 Chevy Belair, Vette, etc. I didn't pay much mind as just another GM fan moving into the area. He was a little put off when I quizzed him as to why he bought into a house that always gets flooded and told me it'll never flood as it was (?) raised up(?). <smh> I don't think he lives there anymore as it's been years that I've seen any 'toys' parked there, dumb, dumb, & dumber. The (I guess) new owner was out and about while I was videoing the area flooding, but I didn't give him a shout or have waders on to go over and talk to him. The IAN flooding came down within several days, the Nicole flooding was less than a day, so that means they didn't get much rain up in the northern part of the river as when that happens the river can stay up for over a week like it did in the 90's.

Pretty much people over beachside that got their houses destroyed, and a lot of those houses are new construction from after the '04 hurricanes wiped that area out, are not permeant residents but someone that built there (again) just for income property ie Air B&B etc. The only people in distress over them is the city for the property taxes lost and the people who profit from the rentals. Most of the local native old timers don't think those house's should ever have been built there. As far as the destroyed sea walls protecting new high rise multi million dollar condo towers goes, most all of those sea walls are over 50 years old (Donna) and nobody that built/marketed/bought thought about that right? The city has been getting battered by the seas for centuries.

The Boardwalk in the ‘20s
1920's Baytona Beach Boardwalk.jpg

I and many around here really don't shed a tear for them.

I've already met quite a few <ahem> displaced condo residents that aren't to happy with the supposed recovery efforts by the Fed & State. One fellow told me he was on the 5th floor of his condo tower and suffered no damage at all so FEMA would do nothing for him. I think he didn't try hard enough as I went to the IAN recovery site and it said to be persistent with FEMA. He said since the 'North Tower' foundation was undermined they evacuated both towers. In the recent news some of these residents are moving back in defying the evacuation orders and have to deal with walking up stories of steps as the Fire Department have locked out the power for the elevators to discourage people from coming back, and public service calls will not be responded too as the buildings are deemed too unsafe for medical & fire personal. That's how they found out people were sneaking back into the buildings is when they started to get medical calls to a evacuated address. There is a whole list of fairly new high rise condo towers that are shut down, as usual it's a real **** show (for some).

Oh and BTW another condo tower down in Miami way is in the same shape as Surfside, I quickly got a headline on the news 'bout that but haven't had time to even think of following up on it.

Last edited:
None of your business, either way. And your ramble above is irrelevant and not at all applicable to the discussion. Plenty of insurance to cover MOST of the loss. Rebuilt. Moved on. So should you.
Heh... WhistlinDiesel in a recent podcast outed himself as a former JW. There is help out there ya'kno.

:realcrazy:

Eh... New people (late comers) to the area buy land on stupid places that no one would build for decades because it was.... well **** land. Who's to blame? Well the Real Estate agents that DGAF and just want to sell and people that don't do enough research, you know the types the ones that come down on a 2 week vacation and think they fall in love with the area on that snapshot.
This is the type of conversation I have with my wife when the subject of relocating somewhere that doesn't measure snowfall in feet.

In traveling 47 states for 8yrs, I noticed most of USA is safe and beautiful depending on time of year...(even Cleveland). But its these few disaster prone places that are draining our bank accounts. FEMA's budget is 60B each year. That's our money going to other states. Also, our insurance rates go up whenever there is a major disaster anywhere in North America. Shouldn't taxes in TX, FL, NC be highest to make up for these losses? (CA already is)
Screenshot 2022-11-17 at 16-18-56 Which States Depend the Most on FEMA's Aid.png

Oh yea here's another meme I found about the tracks. I'll tell ya there many more people down here now that have no idea of the '04 hurricanes let alone Hurricane Andrew. I remember some retiree's being interviewed on the TV News in the Orlando area that were fresh down from Michigan in 2004. After the 4th hurricane they said they were moving back to Michigan as even losing their power during a blizzard wasn't as bad as losing power and being without A/C for weeks in Florida.

315212610_5636259856457767_9128156509673298972_n.jpg

Sold a house in Charleston SC this past spring. It was on James Island which WAS a 15 minute drive to downtown King street with rather easy parking 15 years ago. Boeing moved in North of the city, sea levels rising measurably year to year and it is getting crowded as hell and it is a matter of time before it is hit hard so I sold it at a very good time. I hated it there in the summer as I was always in the refrigerated section so I wasn't grumpy. A very charming city has turned into a anthill in my opinion.

I like beaches too but Florida? No thanks.

Back