I HAD to post this one

Status
Not open for further replies.
MAN.... I just love the early 60's Virgil Exner designed Mopars...... Closest i've ever come to a car that "talks" to me.
I still perfer the 61 Plymouth over the Dodge though.

What's the grill and tail end look like on this one?

Had second thoughts about driving as is, Will ?
I drive it around the sub here once a week but haven't regestered it as yet.
There are a couple of minor issues that need to be addressed before putting it on the road.

The moron who had the car before decided to put a complete new dual exhaust on the car...... With NO mufflers...! A 318 2bbl with straight pipes just sounds like crap.
I pulled all the carpet out to let the floors dry out real good, the seats were recovered long ago and it feels like they used newspaper for padding. The plastic rear window is clowded up to the point that I can't see through it.... Which makes everything 3 blocks back from the passenger door glass a blind spot. I hesitate to just "fix" these things because the car is going to be dissambled and restored soon.

Besides..... I have my 65 Coronet and Jazebelle to take care of my cruising fix when needed... (often).

What's the grill and tail end look like on this one?

The head light trim shields and side spear and grill guard are an option.

61 fury grille (Large).jpg

61 fury rear (Large).jpg

The head light trim shields and side spear and grill guard are an option.

Thanks! I like it. The 61 Plymouth front end definitely gets the nod over the 61 Dodge but I'll bet the 61 Dodge grows on me before too long. BTW the white and pale green interior looks great in that pic

Cool deck lid trim too

Right. Nothing to argue about in this case. :)

Wonder where Marilyn Monroe's Arrest Me '61 Red Vert is calling home these dayz? 30 years ago that one was F/S in Hemmings and all I remember is that I could not afford it then or probably even now! I heard she wouldn't even let Joe DiMaggio ride in that one! Jer

In 1961 a lot of people shared your opinion...... Now it's been narrowed down to just you......:poke:
C'mon now, not only does this think have fins in the back, but its got "stunted" fins in the front too...and what the heck is up with the rocketship tail lights? As if that's not bad enough....the dashboard, Oy Vey.....and no one got fired for this?! It looks like a beached killer whale. Thankfully by the end of the 60's someone began thinking about logic and rational design.

Gary, I can't understand why you can't see the beauty of Exner's Forward Look design??? Even the parts design are a work of art.

ForwardLookFilter.jpg

I like these cars. I do like the grille, front bumper, roof line and think the fins/tail lights are super cool. I also liked the '57-'62 Chrysler 300's, but I didn't care for a lot of Exner's other cars though.

Last edited:
not only does this think have fins in the back, but its got "stunted" fins in the front too...and what the heck is up with the rocketship tail lights? the dashboard, Oy Vey.....and no one got fired for this?! QUOTE]

Damm youngsters....... No clue about the style and design cues of the mid to late 50's and early 60's...
Sounds like someone flunked out of automotive history......

These cars make a statement like no other era in automotive design.

Funny thing though... Virgil Exner, (the fellow responsible for these outragious designs), did lose his job at Chrysler in 61.

I like these cars. I do like the grille, front bumper, roof line and think the fins/tail lights are super cool. I also liked the '57-'62 Chrysler 300's, but I didn't care for a lot of Exner's other cars though.

It's so ugly it's starting to grow on me too

now this is ugly.jpg

beuty is in the eye of the beholder.jpg

now this is ugly.jpg

beuty is in the eye of the beholder.jpg

Last edited:
I'd re do that Dodge in black and probably put Baby Moons with trim rings on black wheels (the widest wheels that would fit on the rear). :) That Plymouth is really cool!

It's so ugly it's starting to grow on me too

View attachment 12083
:laughing4: I hate to have to admit it, but there was a time when I thought that a lot of the cars from this era were ugly and, sadly, some of the ones that I thought were the ugliest were some of Exner's Mopars. As I said in my previous post, I still don't care for some of them. However, I can't honestly call them ugly anymore. If you look at all of the strange looking and downright ugly styles that have come off the assembly line from all manufacturers in the past fifteen years or so, these old cars don't look all that weird anymore, to me anyway.:)

I think the sucker fish look was accentuated by the lens or the angle is was taken at but it's growing on me

Gary, I can't understand why you can't see the beauty of Exner's Forward Look design??? Even the parts design are a work of art.

ForwardLookFilter.jpg
Call me a hard core minimalist till' the end I guess. All the little chrome doo-dads, wings, fins, useless humps, pointy tail light lenses, funky dashboards, or two tone color schemes...all just for the sake of having it on the car...and Exner put eyebrows on cars, mind you. THAT took balls, I'll grant him that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back