I HAD to post this one

Status
Not open for further replies.
Compaired to crap like this Virgils designs look tame...and much more tasteful

pos 2 (Large).jpg

pos 3 (Large).jpg

Compaired to crap like this Virgils designs look tame...and much more tasteful

These designs are more functional than Virgil's ever was. Exner was an animal of his times....and extremely cheap gas. These are more about slipping through the air with less resistance than fins or bombettes could ever provide.

It is interesting to note there is only a 10yr span between these two Dodge Polaras and yet one could never tell its the same car. 1960, 1970.

12521-1960-dodge-polara-2.jpg

dodw.jpg

Just like this comparison Gary......

1960 Dodge Dart

1960-Dodge-Dart-Phoenix.jpg

1969 Dodge Dart

1969%20Dodge%20Dart%20GT.JPG

These designs are more functional than Virgil's ever was. Exner was an animal of his times....and extremely cheap gas. These are more about slipping through the air with less resistance than fins or bombettes could ever provide.

For a long time 10 years in automotive design was a quantum leap. Style was only limited to imagination, and influnence of the era.
Then aerodynamics stepped in during the 90's and all good taste in style went away. Aero does not make for good styling and most automotive design for the past 15-20 years has been one piece of crap that looks just like all the other pieces of crap.

If I think back to when things started to go sour it would probable be the early 70's when the bumpers turned into something you could push start a bulldozer with.... the chrome turned to plastic, and then went away altogether, and the loss of vent wing windows. Now you can't even cruise with the window down without being blasted with "aero"airflow..... I hate that.

For a long time 10 years in automotive design was a quantum leap. Style was only limited to imagination, and influnence of the era.
Then aerodynamics stepped in during the 90's and all good taste in style went away. Aero does not make for good styling and most automotive design for the past 15-20 years has been one piece of crap that looks just like all the other pieces of crap.

If I think back to when things started to go sour it would probable be the early 70's when the bumpers turned into something you could push start a bulldozer with.... the chrome turned to plastic, and then went away altogether, and the loss of vent wing windows. Now you can't even cruise with the window down without being blasted with "aero"airflow..... I hate that.
In a nutshell, good ol' Uncle Sam mandated automakers to put 5 mph impact resistant bumpers on cars after they had already been designed...that's why the bumpers are ugly and look like afterthoughts.
Aerodynamics has little to do with "style"..("style" does not equate to design, either). Aerodynamics is about efficiency, because as you all well know, cheap gasoline is gone........forever, raw materials continuously become more and more costly, and people are more enlightened these days. Chrome is heavy, plastic is lighter...cheaper to manufacture, some plastics even last longer. The number one reason a person buys a brand new Dodge Dart is not because of its "style". "Style" was a product of the 50's and 60's era, things were different.

The difference is not quite as clear between the two Darts as it is the the two Polaras...but its still there. You are making my point completely.

I like both designs....two different era's of styling.....both are outstanding!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back