I have the wrong seats in my car, suggestions? 1965 Fury III

Another odd Dodge thing here in Canada is that a lot of Fury parts were used in he building of the Canadian Polara.
Check out some of my other posts and you will see a nice Fury dash board!

And not to be argumentative, but the bottom seat will push in/under the seat back. Every seat I've seen has a witness mark where the seat back has compressed the bottom's foam, usually 2-3" front-rear. If we think about it, the only things holding the bottom in place are the front hooks, so the seat back must hold it down at the rear edge. Agreed, the seat back has to install first.

I've always found if I don't push the seat bottom in/under the back first, it is much harder to push the bottom down/rear into the front hooks.

This is true, but I really think he's putting the seat bottom in first and then sitting the seat back on top. I'm thinking that if the seat back is in place, the seat bottom will go in correctly.

I don't think you are being argumentative at all. I over simplified the suggestion to get the order of assembly correct. Right now he's stumped and this may give us some clues as what's going on.

The seat bottom will not go in at all with the seat back in.The frame will bend before that happens, I was smashing on it pretty good.
I think Mr Fixit fixed it. Whatever the difference is in the 2 brackets is the amount I am going to try. My measurements say probably 3 inches will be close.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Here's how my seat measures out

Last edited:
I don't know if C-bodies are the same but the back seat will not exchange between a 64 2 dr B-body Dodge and Plymouth
028.jpg

My late buddy bought a 64 Dodge 440 2dr hard top new. He bought and tried to swap in a 64 Sport Fury bucket seat interior from a new wreck and discovered the rear lower cushion wouldn't fit. Can't remember if it was because it was too wide or too long.

He drove the car for 30 years with SF buckets and 440 back seat and it drove him nuts. I never noticed it until he pointed it out before he had the interior redone.

It all matches now.

Kevin

My seat is the same measurement.

How far back from the floor drop off is your forwardmost bracket?

3/4" from the drop off
11 1/4" from the side on the one side and the other was at 10 3/4" so I attached mine at the 11" mark on the new floor

And yes that is what my floor looked like before i replaced it...
20141222_181217.jpg

20141222_181013.jpg
20141222_180942.jpg

Excellent! Hopefully this thread will help someone in the future. In my case, modifying the seat will be easiest. Thanks everyone.

My seat is the same measurement.

How far back from the floor drop off is your forwardmost bracket?

you could use a spot weld cutter to cut out the brackets then re-position them where I have indicated. They don't required a lot of strength because they only hold the seat from moving forward or up when not in use.

you could use a spot weld cutter to cut out the brackets then re-position them where I have indicated.

Yea that's a possibility,but, that would require tearing up the sound deadener that's glued on.
I can weld some extra support to the seat frame with no problem, so that's the way I'm going to fix it.
The difference in the 2 seats is 3 1/4". That was enough to make it not fit the floor right.
It looks like the seat cushion is the same size between say, a Polara and a Fury.

I'll double check the dimensions when ordering the covers, but the important part is, 24 hours ago I didn't have a clue what seat might be in the car.

Just thinking out loud, is it because your car is a Plodge that it had 2 sets of brackets? Or did other Furys/Polaras have both sets?

I keep forgetting that it's a Plodge:lol:

I have more with the double sets than without it again they could be Plodges too!

Today I had the back seat out of my 70 300 vert.... and I had to take a pic... I forgot it has two sets of brackets. So it's not a Plodge thing.

So I think we can safely say, there were 2 seat bracket depths on both slabs and fuseys. I'm happy this thread turned into a contribution to the site. Thanks guys!

Hopefully I don't add to the confusion, but my '67 Newport 4DSD has only one set of floor hooks:
IMG_1484.JPG

John

This is interesting... What was the reason for the second bracket? Add on for convertible maybe? I'm 99.9% the floor pan stamping is shared with the 2 door hard top with my car.

I just really studied the pic in the first post.... and it hit me. That's a 4 door seat bottom! The corners are rounded. A 2 door bottom is squarer.

I don't know why I didn't pick up on that.

OK so if this is understood right, and looking at Sinbin's pic, 4 doors had the rear most bracket?

Back