I just bought this today

66Newyorker

Reaction score
IMG_0159.JPG

I didn't get more pictures today. The fifth VIN digit tells the story.
Found it on the local CR. Less than 72,000 miles. Wasn't able to open the hood but from what his daughter was telling me, it's mostly there. The step side bed has been taken apart. It now has a fleetside on it. I guess for $1000.00 not too bad. More to follow.

It's a '68 or a '78, either way congrats and I can't wait to see more of it!:thumbsup:

No not a 440. The fifth digit in the vin is the engine code being an S means it came equipped the the HP360 only in the Lil Red Express. The J is the plant. It is a 1978 Lil Red Express.

78 Lil red express? They still put Desoto on the plate in 78???
Dodge D Series truck. The "D" stands for DeSoto, or at least that's what I always thought. Might be a standard tag for other countries where the DeSoto name is still used.

Last edited:
Dodge D Series truck. The "D" stands for DeSoto, or at least that's what I always thought. Might be a standard tag for other countries where the DeSoto name is still used.
International truck sales stopped in 1970. And the Desoto truck badge continued under licence in Turkey till 1978. Its Turkish!!

Wiki says what you just said.

Chrysler ended its truck operations in international markets in 1970. However, both the DeSoto and Fargo brands continued to be used on trucks made by Askam in Turkey. In 1978, Chrysler sold its share in the Askam venture to its Turkish partners.[5]

Very interesting....

Wiki says what you just said.

Chrysler ended its truck operations in international markets in 1970. However, both the DeSoto and Fargo brands continued to be used on trucks made by Askam in Turkey. In 1978, Chrysler sold its share in the Askam venture to its Turkish partners.[5]

Very interesting....
Cue music from the twilight zone....

Back