I know you hate us derby guys, but....

mckinnon45

Reaction score
We always try to part out any usable parts for survivors (I even had a nice 78 NYB that is still on the road),

and how many of you guys would actually try to save this car? The infamous, "floorboard delete" option. Back half of the subframe was gone also.

floordelete.jpgfloorrestore.jpg

floordelete.jpg

floorrestore.jpg

That one is absolutely ready for the crusher. However, there have been others that would have made very nice drivers that ended up in senseless demo derbies. That's the problem.

Wow! Can you guys even derby something that rusty? looks like one good hit and it will fold in half!

I agree. I had 1 that ended up on the track that probably wasn't ready. Also had 1 that I helped save and keep on the road, another that we found on the way to the shredder (black 74 2 door) that we saved.

The actual problem in my opinion, is that everyone on here believes these 74-78's are worth their weight in gold, until it comes time to purchase them. I had my 78 4 door with 30,000 miles on here forever. Started at what it "could be worth", which was on the high end. Sunk $1200 into it and still lost money on it. When push came to shove, a car that should be worth "around $4-5k" sold for $2200.

Believe it or not, as long as the rockers under the doors and the front subframe are still intact you can derby these with good results. You can see where I tied the sub to the rockers. That keeps it from falling out.

Good news for your collectors though, more and more people are passing on derbying the Chrysler products, and have begun smashing Crown Victorias.

Good thing about the Ford Panther cars is that there are literally millions of them around to destroy. They're big, pretty durable, and fun to watch get smashed to smithereens!

The infamous, "floorboard delete" option.
View attachment 33701

Haven't heard that term before. Funny.

Speaking of derby cars, I picked up a "spare" '66 Sport Fury sans engine/trans that someone had also stripped the dash and all chrome and put in the trunk. The guy I bought it from was a derby guy but thought the car was too nice to let people intentionally crash into. I agree, but in the condition it's in, nobody will come out ahead trying to resurrect it. It has a lot of parts that could go to a new home but I hate doing that also. Oh, and at some point someone put a home-brewed link suspension in the back, so the trunk floor is all hacked up among other things... That'll certainly help with resale. I guess my point is, these cars are cool and all, but people are few and far between that have the means and desire to sink the requisite dollars into them to keep them on the road.

it's trajic to see that this was once a brand new car and have it end up like this picture..

but then again it could be because of the crappy steel they used too right from the get go...

IF it wasn't a C-Body you could order a replacement floor pan and have it installed in no time!

There's a "pick and pull" type junk yard east of here that occasionally gets some neat older cars (I saw a Nash Metropolitan there once) and there was a 67/68 Imperial that had been "derby'd".

I don't know what it looked like before that, but it was a 100% rust free car... I've pretty hard hearted about this stuff, but this annoyed me a lot.

If it's ready for the crusher... go ahead and derby the snot out of it....

I'll buy parts from any derby guy any day......why not? They are nice enough to offer them for sale.

Try finding a power brake booster for a 78 NY'er or Newport......they are not available from Cardone or anyone.

I've been saying that from Day 1, Bob.
Some words just automatically raise the ire and rants of people without even them thinking about it.
Derby.
Cockroach.
Hitler.
Teamster.
The first one gets a bad rap...

Posted via Topify on Android

Those cars rusted where they sat. I remember my friends Aspen wagon, a 1976 model. There was a huge recall on all Aspen/Volares 76-80 for rust problems in 1982 under warranty. I saw them 4 years old with holes in fenders, quarters, etc. I remember a beautiful 76' Monaco hardtop, red Interior, sun roof. In the shop replacing an inner fender for rust issued under warranty. My 78' Magnum was rusting out from under me by 1983. The metal just wasn't much good, I guess.

Now, in contrast, the 67-68 Chryslers were very resistant to that, those older bodies were great cars. I
admit I'm partial, as I have three here. But they didn't rust out, either!

I've been saying that from Day 1, Bob.
Some words just automatically raise the ire and rants of people without even them thinking about it.
Derby.
Cockroach.
Hitler.
Teamster.
The first one gets a bad rap...

Posted via Topify on Android

You forgot one, Bluesmobile

Alan

Wow! Can you guys even derby something that rusty? looks like one good hit and it will fold in half!
That, to me, is the whole problem. It seems that it's not the cars in that condition that get derbied, but rather the nice "survivors" and "drivers" that end up in the derby.

I won't go to derbies. I hate them. It started when I was a kid. A friend's uncle bought a '59 Chevy sedan delivery, basically a 2-door wagon with no glass behind the driver. The car was in nice shape. It was painted yellow, the body was straight and didn't appear to be rusted. It had a V-8, a floor shifted manual trans, bucket seats and mag wheels. All of us kids just thought it was the coolest car. One day, his uncle showed up driving a different car. I asked my friend where the '59 sedan delivery was. His reply was "My uncle derbied it. That's what he does with all of his cars when he gets sick of them." I never said anything, but that did it for me. I loved that car and have hated derbies ever since.

Move ahead to the present and I hate the fact that I can't find a C-body parts car around here anywhere. I can't afford to, and don't want to, have to pay shipping on every little part, but in my view, the reason I can't find a parts car is because the derby guys grab them all as soon as they go up for sale.

In some places, Imperials and other C-bodies are no longer allowed in derbies because they have an unfair advantage over other cars. I would like to see a rule that wouldn't allow cars over 35 years old to be derbied. Too much of our automotive heritage is being lost forever. Too many potential projects and parts cars are being lost. There's a local business here that enters cars in derbies. They recently derbied a '64 Mercury. The car was a 4-door, but all of the front sheet metal, the hood, the bumpers and mechanical parts could have been used by someone restoring another 4-door, a convertible or a 2-door hardtop including a Maruader.

The other thing that pisses me off are the people who don't part out anything and send it straight to the scrapyard. When I say scrapyard I don't mean boneyard. I'm referring to the places that don't sell parts, they just shred everything that comes in. I was looking for some parts for one of my classics one day and thought I'd check out a place that I hadn't been. I walked into the office and told them what I was looking for and was told that they don't sell any parts.

I used to know a guy like that. He would never sell or part out any of his cars. When he got tired of a car he always sold it to a scrapper that didn't sell parts. If he didn't want it anymore then no one else could have it either.

:rant:

Back