I need a new radiator...

You don't have to. I know what the implication is and it's irrational. This is not about effort.

I would not want an aluminium radiator in my engine bay.
I would recore the original one (if it is really the correct one).

It is ok to puzzle a lower condition car together to keep it on the road but a nice one?
Needs to be done right.

Carsten

Sorry........unless it's recored with OEM parts (which there isn't any on the planet) what's the use of recoring when there are plenty of aftermarket options that are designed to be more efficient in cooling? I'm not talking about rigging up an aluminum radiator in Stan's car........it's too nice, but using the aftermarket radiator that APP has available is the best choice IMHO.

If your car is totally 150% bone factory stock w/ no aftermarket performance upgrades whatsoever than ya probably better to keep it that way cause an aluminum rad is just gonna look flat out silly in an environment that will never deviate from factory. However, the aluminum radiators are really nice alternatives if want to add your own non-factory touch, it works well with other upgrades/changes.

I guess its bling for me. Go with the damn champion....
Its not bling. Think of it as "personal touch". Bling is something that "might" (as in subjectively) look good but is absolutely and totally useless and ONLY there for looks. Let's not go down that road cause we all know where it leads.

You don't have to. I know what the implication is and it's irrational. This is not about effort.

So was the model A and original engine bay comments. An original appearing engine bay is difficult to maintain. Anyone can polish aluminum and chrome....goes back to Stans writing a check reference.
Obviously differences of opinion but original can be more impressve

I guess its bling for me. Go with the damn champion....
Save it, Gary. It's a moot point, now.

70drpd.jpg

So was the model A and original engine bay comments. An original appearing engine bay is difficult to maintain. Anyone can polish aluminum and chrome....goes back to Stans writing a check reference.
Obviously differences of opinion but original can be more impressve
Really? It is very impressive when someone endeavors to restore an object of great historical significance to exacting pin point originality and pulls it off perfectly, THAT is impressive......another 68' 383 Plymouth Roadrunner (or Chrysler or Dodge) that the factory made thousands of copies of is not. That's whats been disappointing about car shows more and more it the same old same old. How is looking at the same thing object copied over and over and over supposed to be impressive?

FUGGIT!!!
I'm pulling the rad this weekend, driving it up to Lakeland (ugh), dropping it off to have it recored with aluminum and will drive back Wed. to pick it up (ugh - ugh).
OOS (Out of service) yet again...
$330.00 + tax plus gas, btw. :BangHead:
Thank you everybody. I love lively discussions like this.

Last edited:
Gotta call champion.. They do offer them for the formals. Think I saw them through a vendor on ebay... Even though all is done.

Done.
It will come back, literally fall back into place without me even looking. The hoses will line up, the tranny coolinglines will line up, the petcock will be at an accessible space, it will line up to the holes on the radiator support, the shroud will bolt right back on. I'll fill it, start it, watch the needle go to 1/3 and stay there no matter what I do to it.
Stuck on I-4 on Friday night at 5:00 PM on a July 97 degree day. And A/C on full blast. Looking at the 5 migrant workers in the '87 Civic next to me hanging out the windows like wilted vines. And the Miata with the top down, windows rolled up, A/C full blast, and the sun burning his head redder than the nail polish on a diner waitress.

Last edited:
When I got the Champion I ended up with one listed for a 65-66 Valiant, it was the only one listed for the early small block (driverside lower hose). Both hoses lined up and the trans lines lined up like it was designed for the car, I only had to drill 2 mounting holes for the bottom screws.

Their cross-references suck.

Alan

FUGGIT!!!
I'm pulling the rad this weekend, driving it up to Lakeland (ugh), dropping it off to have it recored with aluminum and will drive back Wed. to pick it up (ugh - ugh).
OOS (Out of service) yet again...
$330.00 + tax plus gas, btw. :BangHead:

Thank you everybody. I love lively discussions like this.

Not sure I understand - so you keep the top tank, but the core is aluminum? If this is so, then I am interested too.

Back