Impster - the big&white

Rather than shotgun the parts, why not try doing a diagnosis on what the problem is? It may be one or the other, probably not both, or it may even be something very simple. All it takes is a simple jumper wire to test those two pieces.

That was actually tested today. The alternator is not functional since the voltmeter read about 12 volts with no change regarding to RPM, just like you advise. Buying a new voltage regulator is to have a spare part in the trunk.

@detmatt

The block is, but at least the intake is from the late 60s and I´m not yet sure about the heads or internals. At least there is nothing related to smog regulations.

That was actually tested today. The alternator is not functional since the voltmeter read about 12 volts with no change regarding to RPM, just like you advise. Buying a new voltage regulator is to have a spare part in the trunk.

@detmatt

The block is, but at least the intake is from the late 60s and I´m not yet sure about the heads or internals. At least there is nothing related to smog regulations.

Very good! Sorry you have to change the alternator though. Keeping a spare VR isn't a bad idea.

FWIW, most of the time, there's only a couple electrical problems with the alternator. If it isn't charging at all, it could be the brushes and that's a really simple fix. If it's charging a bit, then it could be one or more of the diodes. In a square back alternator, those are pretty easy to change. In the round backs, the diodes have to be pressed in/out, but still not rocket surgery. Mechanically, the bearing behind the pulley goes bad and that's it. There's more that can go wrong, but those are the quick and easy fixes on the usual issues.

Starters are even easier...

FWIW, most of the time, there's only a couple electrical problems with the alternator. If it isn't charging at all, it could be the brushes and that's a really simple fix. If it's charging a bit, then it could be one or more of the diodes. In a square back alternator, those are pretty easy to change. In the round backs, the diodes have to be pressed in/out, but still not rocket surgery. Mechanically, the bearing behind the pulley goes bad and that's it. There's more that can go wrong, but those are the quick and easy fixes on the usual issues.

The brushes were inspected as well and it seems like the issue is something else.

I built fifth wheel cover:

14.6.2019 001.JPG

The new alternator:

20190614_150908.jpg

Sorry for blurriness, I drove via the garage after getting some more parts and had no proper camera with me.

Looks like the alternator mounting isn't quite right. The upper bracket should go below the alternator.

This is a pic from my files (for something else) and I'll grab a better one when I head out to the garage in a little while.

Vr45C8O.jpg

Looks like the alternator mounting isn't quite right. The upper bracket should go below the alternator.

This is a pic from my files (for something else) and I'll grab a better one when I head out to the garage in a little while.

View attachment 294007

Could that be the lack of AT II? Mine does not have it and the alternator was installed that way, when I bought the car. On your picture one belt is very close to the bolt and the space seems to be too narrow for the bracket.

In that case mine is wrong, it'll be corrected, but this is just some wondering.

Some pics I just took.

Looking at it from the top, you can see where the pivot bolts to the head.

Lr4O6vs.jpg

This is the lower bracket, and it is slightly different from yours, but you can see how it follows the arc of how the alternator rotates on the pivot bolt to tighten the belt.

GX3AbI4.jpg

DlyvKTq.jpg

The brackets are quite different:

1.5.2019 007.JPG

30.5.2019 008.JPG

The second picture is more about the valve train, but it shows that there's no triangle as a part of the alternator bracket.

Looking at those mounts, I'd say that upper bracket is upside down.

Somebody else with a '73 Imperial needs to chime in here.

I can snap a pic when I get home later of Lee's setup if you would like.

Sure yes!

BTW, are the brackets same on both the 72 and 73 Imps? I had a brief look at the pics of Shirley Pickles and the alternator mounting seemed to be like Impster´s setup.

I really think the top bracket is upside down. The two circled areas show the belt "guard" for the heater hose. Hard to see, but it looks like it's inverted.

Belt1.jpg
belt2.jpg

Are you going to be putting ac back on this car?

Back