Impster - the big&white

Are you going to be putting ac back on this car?

Some day yes, though maybe via the hard way.

Once I did chatter with the ``main mechanic`` of garage and he invited me to get a Mercedes Benz from the correct era.

Because Chrysler Corp. sold the Auto Temp across the pond in the late 70s, it´d be the cheapest way to get it by parting out an MB and keeping only the needed parts.

Call me crazy, but the AT is the system I would like to reinstal and per observation the Mercedes system could be adaptable to a Fuselage, though even Formals were built with a somewhat different system.

Just wondering though, any working A/C with an OEM-like compressor running also the rear unit wuold be nice.

Last edited:
@Big_John

The alternator bracket is not (yet) going to work the right side up. It is bent in a greater angle than what the reference provided by Doc does show, so the alternator itself would be on the way.

I may have all the brackets you need once we know what they look like.

Here´s the upper alternator bracket:

16.6.2019 002.JPG

The damage caused by the flying wheel covers was a bit more serious than what I was expecting:
16.6.2019 007.JPG

16.6.2019 008.JPG

16.6.2019 010.JPG

16.6.2019 012.JPG

The upper picture does show the driver´s side skirt and the damaged one is in the lower photo of the two.
16.6.2019 013.JPG

16.6.2019 014.JPG

16.6.2019 015.JPG

16.6.2019 016.JPG

Now the manual choke is replaced with an electric equivalent, but I´ll take a sharp pic next time.

67-69 (Imp) wheel covers

Last edited:
@DocMcNeedy

Thank you!

Does the alt in either Lee, TP, or McGoldy have the pipe, which is tucked in the lower mounting hole at the alternator factory. It looks like the correct 73 mounting brackets are both single-piece items, unlike the lower bracket on mine.

@DocMcNeedy

Thank you!

Does the alt in either Lee, TP, or McGoldy have the pipe, which is tucked in the lower mounting hole at the alternator factory. It looks like the correct 73 mounting brackets are both single-piece items, unlike the lower bracket on mine.
Let me look at Lee's out in the garage.

Not sure my lighting is very good with Lee tucked in garage right now. Give me a shot of what you want me to duplicate
20190616_152733.jpg
20190616_152808.jpg
from the Impster.

There’s a bushing in one hole and a steel tube spacer in between the “ears” on the alternator.

Hi Jay, we’ve been corresponding for a long while but for some reason I have never posted in your thread. Great car! I guess I will be learning more about EW1 ‘73 Imps in the coming weeks and months :D

As a minor contribution, the decoder is not perfect: The D34 code in ‘73 was not for a “light” duty transmission— simply for an automatic (as you note the 727 in the other post I quoted below). Also the HF6 code is for green interior door frames.

This is from mymopar.com:
(...)
D34: Light Duty Automatic Transmission
(...)
HF6: Unknown Int. Door Frames

I altered post #21 for Lee:
(...)
D34: light duty automatic transmission (TF727)

Enjoy the car in good health!

Back