In-line electric fuel pump for emergency fix? 68 Polara.

HWYCRZR

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Has anyone installed an inline electric fuel pump for a road fix?
I am in the middle of Nowhere Mt.
I think I finally found my issue. My fuel pump is bad. However there isn’t one within 200 miles (at least not on a Sunday)

I am 30 miles from the nearest town. (Small town) Luckily a nice local farm couple stopped that knows the Napa owner stopped to help. They called him but He didn’t have any Mopar fuel pumps but has an electric inline pump that we are going to try and make work. They actually drove to town and back to pick one up for me.
Any words of wisdom of advice? I am thinking I would like switched power, but am not going to be to picky. As there isn’t much switched power under the hood.

Rubber hose to the fuel line and up to the carb. Bypass the original pump in case the diaphragm is shot and letting gas in the oil. Grab 12volts off the alternator with a switch somewhere in line for now.

In about 1973, Imperials had an elec pump in the rear on CA models, I believe. Mounted near the fuel tank. Also used the normal pump, too? There is an illustration in the Chrysler parts book and probably in the service manual, too.

In another car club I'm in, their 1955 cars tend to vapor lock in traffic and hot weather (NOT Chryslers!), so they added a low-pressure $30.00 elec pump near the fuel tank, switched, so they could turn it on prior to getting into slow-speed traffic in hoter weather. Then switch it off when not needed any more.

Hooe you got home, ok! Thank God for the good people still left in our society!
CBODY67

It is probably your fuel pump push rod.
Don't use a race pump, Carter 4070 is a good pump with correct pressure and there is a small Edelbrock/MrGasket pump that is correct pressure.
Good luck.

Eldebrock inline mini pump. Works great so far. Went right to battery for now. I will disconnect at my last two fuel stops.

Sounds good. Glad they helped the stranded traveler.

be a good idea to carry one in the trunk for road trips

I had to keep running an electric pump in my wagon after my push rod was chewed up. I believe that the pump pushrods is to be treated like a cam lifter wiping a cam lobe.
My replacement push rod was chewed up in short time after replacing, so now run a Carter full time. Can be noisy on first runs but kinda pleads in with the car noise after a while.
Bonus is instant starts.

I’ve been running one in my silver ‘67 for years since it started eating pump rods. Since I no longer have the rear defogger and the electrical was already right where I needed it I wired it into that circuit with a built in factory switch.

I have mine wired through a relay
Good to do. I have been running the mini pumps for years and they work quite well.I plum them near the tank as a primer when the car sits for several days to months. On a switch to fire the car and then turn it off. Mechanical pump pulls fuel thru the mini without it running.Good for backup and click on to help the mechanical for spirited runs.
Many name brands Edelbrock,K&N,Mr.Gasket that I think are made from the same company.
Glad to hear there are good people out there that helped you.

Thanks all for the advice.
Made it home last night with no more major issues. It seems like I ran into the trifecta of issues this trip. First the starter relay sticking l, then blew out my dashboard solid-state regulator and meter match due to a voltage spike disconnecting and reconnecting the negative cable while it was running. ( car initially died when I disconnected and when I quickly re connected and the car re-started it spiked my electrical system).
And now due to some of my new vapor lock issues and lower temperature gauge readings, I am wondering if my thermostat is stuck open.
More trouble shooting….
At least the electric pump allowed for easy rolling re-starts. Only happened after re fill of gas. Would start and get out of the parking lot, but would then stall, but would quickly re-start and be fine.

Any way will finish the saga over here.
After 34 years road-trip with the Polara back to Montana

We installed this in about 15 minutes.

0AC6DE86-AA13-45E5-A7B9-9D901DE64A4E.jpeg
0C787FB0-22A5-4CF2-9060-D196E734DD99.jpeg

Wedged alligator clip into the power on my relay
0DA299CD-C4E2-4F3C-8A71-A2ED95500F6A.jpeg

Somewhere there was a thread that discussed good pushrod vendors vs some that weren’t so good.
I found the measurement in on of @LocuMob posts so will measure mine first. 3-7/32”. But first I need to wait until the power comes back on so I can raise my lift. Have a storm going through right now with 70 mph wind gusts.

My rod is a little short. Measures at 2.98. I think the spec is 3.21 or 3.22”

Mine is off about .24 or 1/4”. Ok maybe it’s a little worn.

Are these two ends supposed to be equal?

image.jpg

Yes, they should be equal. That rod lost a little.

Definitely, some major wear. I like to re-use the originals, they seem to never wear, even with 6-figure mileage.

This was an original. I didn't know at the time when I re-built my engine that I should have replaced it as well 114,000 miles ( hard miles) Not sure how often dad changed the oil back on the farm. Probably only as time allowed.

The key to a replacement is to get one that has good hardness, but a hair softer than the cam. Would rather wear the rod than the cam lobe.
At least the end had perfect even wear with just a little concave hollow.

My fuel pump being only two years old is probably OK, but for $28 I am going to replace it. I don't need the trouble.

My fuel pump being only two years old is probably OK, but for $28 I am going to replace it. I don't need the trouble.
You did see the link in my last post, yes?

Yes I did, already ordered the pushrod from there. Thanks

Back