In Pennsylvania 1970, fire chiefs getting new chrysler wagons

sauterd

Reaction score
wagon.jpg

Reading PA ..... probably still close to home. I'm betting one has survived with lettering long gone

I miss that blue and white signage that was on almost all car dealerships. I know it wasn't the pretty, high design stuff of the earlier part of the century but there's something so satisfying about it. Like a process blue thermograph on ivory card stock business card.

Wait a second... those have a Newport grille & trim! The regular Town & Country had a New Yorker grill and moldings in ’69, in ’70, and in ’71.

I miss that blue and white signage that was on almost all car dealerships. I know it wasn't the pretty, high design stuff of the earlier part of the century but there's something so satisfying about it. Like a process blue thermograph on ivory card stock business card.

I'd like to know what Javier thinks, but I personally think the modern Chrysler store is some of the worst architecture in the industry. The atrium window looks like it came from a sleazy hotel chain that failed in the early 90s. This isn't even a nice cell phone store:

best-jeep-1.jpg

Compared to Ford:

ford-dealership.jpg

All the new dealers are bloated, and cheesy looking, like they're trying to mimic the jumbo-big-box chain store............I still prefer the earlier "mid-century modest" style with the fire chiefs.

I despise the architecture of all the makers. Horrid. Absolutely grotesque.
Cold. Uninviting. You feel the chill as if you're entering the dentist's office with periodontal disease .

The building needs to be brick and it needs lots of neon.

They just look like every other retail building: meant to be torn down in 20 years on the absolute outside.

I tend to agree they all suck. It's not that I think the Ford buildings look great, it's just that it at least looks like an architect breathed on it. The Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep/Ram/Mopar building looks like it was built from a Florida sunroom kit.

Before Lexus was introduced, Toyota did a ton of research to totally rethink the architecture, signage, showroom design, and customer experience (perception). They changed the landscape, literally.
Now every showroom looks like the original Lexus stores.

Fuller Cadillac - Oldsmobile on Commonwealth Ave. in Boston. Was in there as a kid. Blew me away. What an elegant showroom.

CommAvePeterFullerCadillac(BU)_Lo.jpg

detroit had many dealership buildings with character:

Dalgleish Buick 1930's, then Cadillac well into the 1980's, then disrepair, then some repurposing by Wayne State University (vision when done) for $100 Million.

Original designed by Albert Kahn, who has many signature industrial buildings in Detroit and elsewhere: Albert Kahn (architect) - Wikipedia.

00-1-2-2-2.jpg
00-1-2-2-3.jpg
00-1-2-3.jpg

Back