Infos needed for tailgate removal (and others)

Phil64

Reaction score
Hi all,
I've bought some months ago a '73 Monaco SW, you can see it in my previous posts. Beautiful but ....
I think I was cheated about the condition of the wagon, by the seller (who said nothing "lets the buyer beware" ...) and by the person who examined it (and who saw nothing from underside, but I don't know if he really detailed it). Result, I have rust problems, on the left member above front door and on the rear crossmember, at the level of the tailgate support. The professional who examined the Monaco told me that for repairs he has to remove the bumper (easy) but also the tailgate. I noted what to do, it is written in the shop manual but I do not know if it is removed when it is in the door position or flat (I rather think this one).
I also have a problem with the tailgate switch, it seems that in order to access it you have to remove the lock. And to remove the lock the manual says to remove the glass and its rails? Exact ?
Thanks for informations and support.

Might try with the glass up, if the switch resembles a 69, the tumbler inserts into the switch and a retainer couples the two pieces together. No suggestions or help on removal, you have the hidden hinge

Thanks for the reply.
I need to change the switch because it works (with the lock cylinder) only in one direction (down) . The switch is stuck between the latch and the door sheet metal, see pic. So to remove it (it has a pin from the latch which goes in) i must remove the latch (so the glass and the run channel !) ... Unless I manage to have enough space to disengage the pin by sufficiently unscrewing the latch.
I've another question about the tailgate but it's electrical so i'll start another post.

IMG_20211128_163826 [1800].jpg

You will have to remove the lock. Prise the spring U clip sideways from the inside of the door with door open and window right up. The lock will then withdraw and you can disconnect the latch. Then I think there are 2 small hex screws that hold switch in position. When messing with any of this read carefully about your adjustments in the service manual. Its over 20 years since I took off any tailgate and its not easy. Read carefully on how to release the torsion spring. If I remember rightly you will remove it in the door position , with door wide open(window down). You will need at least 2 pairs of hands, its extremely heavy. The hinge is about 40 lbs. When you put it back on , its best done with a ratchet strap anchored to a garage roof timber or something similar. Good luck.

Prise the spring U clip sideways from the inside of the door with door open and window right up. The lock will then withdraw and you can disconnect the latch. Then I think there are 2 small hex screws that hold switch in position.
Yes, 2 small screws and you can unbolt one of them only if you move the latch ! In any case I have to move the switch away from the door panel because i must disengage the small pin which actuates the switch. I've found some pics of the latch on an ebay sale
lock1.jpg
lock2.jpg

Back