Remove Tailgate Glass - Tailgate Open 66 Town and Country

michiganhotrod1

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hello;
I read through the threads about opening dormant tailgates if the power window will not lower.
I have the opposite problem. My power window is down in the tailgate, which can open. I need to remove the glass so I can access fasteners for the trim. The shop manual says to remove the interior trim and remove the glass roller lock washers, which I have done. Next I am supposed to remove the arm pins from the glass rollers - How is this done? They are stuck in the rollers.
I have tried prying in a number of ways on the pins with no luck, can't get to forceful as I don't want to break the glass. Access is extremely limited, and I cant raise the glass with the tailgate open.
Any suggestions?
Thank you.
Mark

there is a limit switch on the left where the gate latches. its a brass metal tab. push on that while raising the window. its there to prevent having the window up while slamming the tailgate up and smashing the glass. just make sure you lower the glass back in the gate after your repairs.

You can raise the glass with the tailgate open, but it's a risky proposition...

There is a power disable switch under the where the lock striker goes on the driver side of the tailgate opening. Press tthe little spring steel flap that would be under the striker, and it completes the circuit to allow the tailgate motor to receive power. This is to prevent the glass being raised with the gate opened, and then the glass being smashed against the side pillars if it's closed with the glass out.

Do NOT over extend the glass - it puts a great deal of strain on the fasteners, which may break. Plus, it can actually go too far, creating more problems.

Keep the gate as vertical as you can to prevent the above mentioned strain. Only raise the glass far enough to get more access. Lower it before closing the gate!! The glass will lower with the key without requiring the tab to be pressed.

Back