Instrument panel light bulb replacement (1964 Imperial)

Asleep at the Meal

Reaction score
I wish to have my original instrument panel #57 lights replaced with dimmable LED bulbs since the original bulbs are too dim (except for the very bright aftermarket tachometer---no; I don't know why this is on the car). On superbrightleds.com there are two styles listed for 1964 Imperials (96 lumens or 4 lumens). Since I wish to have the dash lights brighter, would the less-expensive 4-lumen bulbs be sufficient? Also, since I’m seeking reasonable brightness, perhaps either 6100K or 7000K?

By the way, being humorous, as a “weird” person I would be tempted to mix several different color bulbs on the panel…but don’t worry; I won’t!
Light bulbs.png

The 4 lumen bulbs are extremely directional, and likely won't be satisfactory. Also, the difference between 4 lumens and 96 lumens is significant.

Note that the 96 lumen bulbs have diodes facing in multiple directions, which will help the little blue lenses that surround the bulbs diffuse more light and have a much better result.

If they're too bright, since they're dimmable, you can turn the 96 lumen ones down, but if they're not bright enough, you'll only get so much out of the 4 lumen ones. I'd go brighter and turn them down.

Regarding the colour choice for the whites: personally, I prefer WARM white (2500 - 3000 K) rather than the 6100 K COOL or BRIGHT white colours, but that's a matter of personal preference. You may find that bright whites and blue diffuser lenses will make things TOO blue, while warm white and blue diffuser lenses will be more like the factory originally intended.

Last edited:
For more vintage eyes, an issue of "high contrast" light situations can happen. What that means is that the bright lights override the ability to see dimmer areas, adjacent, by observation. What that might mean with bright white (the higher "K" numbers) is that the instrument panel lights can be too bright and override the ability to see dimmer/darker areas when driving at night, even when dimmed. Which makes the "soft white" recommendation a very good one, all things considered.

The other thing is that with time, the reflector for the instrument panel light bulbs can become dirty and not reflect as good as it once did. A simple disassembly and cleaning can help fix that, plus some renewed reflector areas, too.

I'll concur on using LEDs for their longevity factor, but the "brightness" of such might be an issue all by itself. So ensure the rheostat in the light switch is working well.

Just some thoughs and experiences,
CBODY67

How many #57 bulbs are in the instrument panel and dashboard on a 1964 Imperial? At almost $4 per bulb, I wish to get the correct number of bulbs without purchasing excessive amounts.

Might possibly check the 1964 Chrysler parts book. Usually, they have the quantity needed for each part number. But bulbs are considered "Standard Parts", in their own section, and might not have it listed in that "SP" area.

As far as the service manual goes, there hopefully is an image of the rear of the instrument cluster, which will show where the bulbs plug into the cluster circuit board. The indicator bulbs would be different from the lighting bulbs, typically. Also, there could be a "Bulb Specifications" list of bulb numbers, candlepower ratings, and quantities of each bulb number, generally.

Additionally, Sylvania Automotive Lighting has a website with bulb number lookups for automotive bulbs. Should have the numbers and quantities there, IIFC.

Several possible resources for that information.

CBODY67

Might possibly check the 1964 Chrysler parts book. Usually, they have the quantity needed for each part number. But bulbs are considered "Standard Parts", in their own section, and might not have it listed in that "SP" area.

As far as the service manual goes, there hopefully is an image of the rear of the instrument cluster, which will show where the bulbs plug into the cluster circuit board. The indicator bulbs would be different from the lighting bulbs, typically. Also, there could be a "Bulb Specifications" list of bulb numbers, candlepower ratings, and quantities of each bulb number, generally.

Additionally, Sylvania Automotive Lighting has a website with bulb number lookups for automotive bulbs. Should have the numbers and quantities there, IIFC.

Several possible resources for that information.

CBODY67
Thanks much! I'll investigate those items.

Back