Intake Manifold Heigth

mrmopar66

Reaction score
Anyone using a Mopar M1 intake on a 440? I wonder about hood clearance with an M1, 750 Holley, and 70 style dual snorkel air cleaner on a 69 300.

133 views and no one has ever thrown an M1 intake under a C Body hood? That's hard to believe.

Not a lot of single-plane intakes in this crowd.

You could go at it another way: what's the height of the carb pad on the M1? Next, you'd need someone here with a stock intake removed to measure it to find the stock height. From there, you can see how much higher it is.

A friend of mine put a M1 & aluminum Stage 5 heads on a 66 Belvedere & had to add a hood scope. Don't know if that helps much. I use a series of stacked sponges with axel greese on the top. As soon as I stack one that leaves greese on the underhood I know where the limit is & break out my ruler & measure.

You can use balls of tin foil and check the clearance when the balls crush.

I will need to wait until I get the engine in then. Was just looking for past experience. I had one on my 66 Charger and had to run a small then aftermarket air cleaner. I am hoping to still squeeze in the factory dual snorkel on this one. Thanks for the replies guys!

Found in 48 seconds on Google:

You can take it from there.

Brilliant. I had been trying to find the stock pad height, and couldn't find it anywhere. But I have come across several sources that show the height of the M1 intake. Now I can do the math and go backwards.

Funny how that works: You get your mind set on working the problem one way, and the answer can be found in another.

You can't fit much on a Imperial when my friend had one he had to use a thin air filter whit just a edelbrock performer, not a rpm just the regular.

Yeah, that's kind of what I'm facing. I've been looking at the CH4B and also the Weiand Action Plus. Both of them seem to perform better than stock and are slightly lower than the Performer. I may end up staying with stock if I can't find anything that fits under the hood with a stock air cleaner. It doesn't make much sense to me to improve the flow of the manifold if I'm just going to restrict it with a low air cleaner. But it's still a ways off. The Imperial is running nicely, and my fears of needing a rebuild soon have subsided. The Action Plus is still in production, so I can just buy one if needed. I'm keeping my eyes peeled (but not actively searching) for a steal on a CH4B if one comes along.

I think the quote that says the M1 is almost 2" taller should end just about any discussion of using a stock air cleaner. A 2" aftermarket cleaner might barely fit.

Personally, for the street, an Eddie Performer is all one needs.
But that will just start another humongous dead-end discussion like headers.

Wherin you say that your chosen decisions and compromises are right and natural, and everyone else's are wrong and idiotic?

I, in general, have not tried to prevent most people from being what I personally could consider wrong under normal circumstances.
There. That should cover all the bases

Shiny.
Very period correct for 1967.
Dull natural lead finish with shiny hammer marks. No black weights back then.

If you were following along from the beginning, you would know my mission with BitterSweet is to keep her a Day 2 car.

Back