Interior cleaning car sitting for 20 years

rv2

Reaction score
This thing is nasty but the dash is not cracked and seats not torn.
I took a rag and some simple green to a section of the seat and the rag came up black!
The interior is just mildew/moldy, what would be the best way to clean all of this?

IMG_6106.jpeg

Whatever you do, just be sure to at least wear a mask. If it was mine, I would take out the seats and rug. Look at the videos where the guys detail cars that are in similar condition to yours. They steam clean the seats and rugs. There are quite a few different products to remove mildew.

I'm thinking remove the seats and get them in the sun. Once good and dry a bristle brush to loosen stuff and vacuum before adding anything wet. If no holes in seats consider - hose. Maybe houshold wet vac. Then get the carpet out and toss it in the bin. Thats just the start.

First thing I would do is spray every inch with cleaning vinegar. Vinegar will kill the mold and make it safer for you to attack.
Then with large shop vac with filter and bag, give it a good vacuum, this way your not spreading the heavy mold around your place to other items.
Wear one of those white disposable meth suits and mask.
The Vinegar will stink a lil while, but it will kill the mold and bacteria, on that car I would do it again thoroughly
after the vacuum stage.

This is a job made far easier and safer for your health by removing the seats AND carpeting, cleaning them outside the car. The carpeting might be salvageable, but if it comes up in pieces, just chuck it in the trash and order new. An ozone generator is definitely your friend to help kill the crap in the headliner, vents, and other hard-to-reach points inside. As mentioned above, there are plenty of detailing videos on YT that show the finer points of interior cleaning and detailing.

Everyone has different ways of doing this type of deep cleaning.

Just put on clear seat covers and wear gloves. Tell people in your wellness search you discovered a way to get your probiotics while you drive.

From what I've seen and read, Super Clean diluted 10:1 seems to be the weapon of choice for detailers. I've cleaned mildew out of cars and it doesn't really take a lot. Get a couple of those detail brushes as they might make it easier.

I'd vacuum what I could first and then start spraying with the diluted Super Clean. I'd probably just trash the carpet, but you could also take it out and hose it and see what happens, you have nothing to lose.

I've also used this stuff for a car that the mice had taken over and while the headliner and carpet were trash, I sprayed the underside of the seats etc. and the car doesn't smell at all... Believe me.. While I probably wouldn't notice, my wife would have.

Amazon product ASIN B005ITWODY

I'm betting any mold/mildew cleaner used for vinyl house siding would work too and could get at Lowes in large qty.

Back