Is ther suppose to be insulation between the engine and intake manifold?

Zymurgy

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
I started cleaning up the top of my 383. I noticed insulation between the intake manifold and the engine toward the back of the engine. In the front of the engine there is a plate and there appear to be insulation under it. First is this insulation suppose to be there? I'm I missing a plate covering the insulation in the back?

I uploaded 3 photos. An overview,front and back where the insulation is.

Cleaning up the engine sm.jpg

Cleaning up the engine (3) sm.jpg

Cleaning up the engine (2) sm.jpg

Cleaning up the engine (2) sm.jpg

Cleaning up the engine (3) sm.jpg

Cleaning up the engine sm.jpg

Yes, that's factory. Is it absolutely needed? No. I replaced my intake and carb with Edelbrock setup and didn't replace the insulation. It is available new or some guys just make their own. And some choose not to install them at all.

The plate is only on the front section...to allow the air from the radiator to flow over the pad. There is not supposed to be a plate in the back. And YES it is supposed to have a foil wrapped piece of insulation under the intake. It was mainly there to help keep noise from the cam and lifter to a minimum. Many choose to not intall it.

Brian is right that they installed it as sound insulation but I'm also under the delusion it prevents gas percolation in the carb. On that issue I like to keep it but I'm willing to agree it's more likely a placebo effect on me.

(Sent using Forum Runner)

I'm one of those guys w/o the insulation. Hasn't made a bit o' difference as far as I can tell.

You guys are the best. I wondered if it was some kind of sound insulator. I thought at first it was something the PO did. I know him personally and it would fit his personality to shove some insulation in there.

I've used a preformed 1/8" aluminum heat shield sold in speed shops back in the day between the Edelbrock intake and holley carb back in the day on my Super Bee & Challenger to prevent gas perking in the carb. It worked great. I believe Chevy made one for the 427 Corvette too.

I removed the insulation foil pack from my engine a few years ago and haven't noticed any difference either. As far as keeping engine heat away from the manifold, I never really gave it much thought because there's an exhaust heat crossover passage through the manifold anyway. Even my aluminum manifold has the heat passage.:)

I also used a cool can too. That was the technology back in the day.

Is that where you ran your fuel line through a coil in a coffee can of ice water?

Yes, an aluminum canister with copper tubing coiled in it. I packed it with ice and it kept the fuel cold when making runs on the 1/4 mile.

Yes, an aluminum canister with copper tubing coiled in it. I packed it with ice and it kept the fuel cold when making runs on the 1/4 mile.

Cool stuff, I learn several new things everyday. I am so glad I found you guys in this forum

Aluminum canister. Lol. I was poor. Mine was an A&P 8'o-clock coffee can...

Aluminum canister. Lol. I was poor. Mine was an A&P 8'o-clock coffee can...

Seen many coffee can fabrications. They worked.

I was working 2 jobs back then..........as a lot of people did also.

I started cleaning up the top of my 383. I noticed insulation between the intake manifold and the engine toward the back of the engine. In the front of the engine there is a plate and there appear to be insulation under it. First is this insulation suppose to be there? I'm I missing a plate covering the insulation in the back?

Here's a little more info for you on the insulation.

http://www.performancecargraphics.com/Manifold_Insulation.htm

"Valve Tappet Noise Reduction Silencer Package."
ROTFLMFAO.
Good little and amusing bit of Mopar trivia there, Bob. Can you possibly imagine the look of the dumb *** parts clerk at the dealer if you asked for one?

"Valve Tappet Noise Reduction Silencer Package."
ROTFLMFAO.
Good little and amusing bit of Mopar trivia there, Bob. Can you possibly imagine the look of the dumb *** parts clerk at the dealer if you asked for one?

:sSig_lol3:

I don't think the parts guy would get it if you brought the old one or a picture of it with you. I think I posted on another thread that when I put the Eddie intake & carb on mine, the complete valley area was packed with acorns. The acorns looked like they were there for decades.

Back