Is there any difference between 66 and 67 fuel tanks?

chrisgriffin

Reaction score
I need a new tank for my 66 new yorker.
the spectra cr20b seems to be a match but it is listed as 67-73.
was there a real design change or will it be perfectly fine?

The 73 tank is about 2-4" longer, so that info is wrong. Tried to install a 73 tank in a 66 years ago, no-go, BTDT.
X-ref the sending unit listings, as those tie to the tank interchanges also.
I believe any 65-68 C-body tank could fit if it has the right sender installed (except 65 Fury, which is a 1-year, 1 car tank).
If you look at some recent posts I've made in some fuel tank threads, I put more detail out there.

Stumbled across this in some notes in an excel file:

A tank from a 73 NY did NOT fit in my 66 Newport. It was about 2-3 inches too long and the strap brackets for the J-bolts were nowhere close to fitting. Somebody could make it work with some bracket extenders, I suppose, but the tank would too close to the rear axle for my comfort.

Several years later that 66 Newport outlived its usefulness to me and was stripped for parts. The tank from this 66 (which I repaired when the 73 tank didn't work) was installed in my 68 Fury (who started leaking). The 66 Nupe tank was slightly different than the tank in the 68 Fury. The overall dimensions are the same, but the tank height and slope at the rear was a little different, and neither car's filler neck lined up as it should have (even though both cars had license plate filler necks). However, the tank did fit and the filler does not leak at the grommet. Sender did fit but I don't really know if it's still totally accurate, it's always been off a little bit.

Paddock lists 62-66 C-body as one sender, 67-68 as another.
(The Paddock truly dates that info, anyone remember them, or when they went belly-up????)

SO:
Differences, yes. But as I said initially, keep the sender with the respective tank and can probably swap OK. Filler necks worked out for me, but might not in every case.

perfect, exact information !
Thanks !

additionally, the spectra cr20b did fit in the 66 but needed new straps as it is longer; autozone was the quickest source for straps.
tank is canadian but straps are chinese from same manufacturer btw.
filler neck lined up but don't forget to re anchor it as a wobble will chew up your new gasket.
I found that out the hard way :-(

ya it's a little tight to the axle but I'm driving instead of being on my back in the driveway.
more info on how the sender behaves after a full tank drive; it's somewhat weird due to tank pitch I think.

Back