is this a joke?

Micmaynard

Reaction score
Does anyone know any history behind this? was it a joke or was it just the 60's-70's?
Would have loved to be in that office when someone drew this and they said, "Yeah, that's perfect we'll make floor mats with that!"

PXL_20240512_200629533.jpg

For aftermarket floor mats, it was common for them to have some sort of "logo" design in the middle, over the trans hump, to differentiate their mat from other aftermarket brands (IF that really mattered). Not really a brand logo, just a design that somebody liked. Sometimes more "regal" and sometimes "more simple", as a crest or similar. It's just a design and nothing more. Of course, could not be anything similar to an OEM trademarked design.

Like some "different looking" vase that one would put on a table for "a conversation piece", regardless of the decade.

CBODY67

For aftermarket floor mats, it was common for them to have some sort of "logo" design in the middle, over the trans hump, to differentiate their mat from other aftermarket brands (IF that really mattered). Not really a brand logo, just a design that somebody liked. Sometimes more "regal" and sometimes "more simple", as a crest or similar. It's just a design and nothing more. Of course, could not be anything similar to an OEM trademarked design.

Like some "different looking" vase that one would put on a table for "a conversation piece", regardless of the decade.

CBODY67
Ah, I thought they were a factory thing. Couldn't figure out the connection between a two headed chicken with a mouth like Snoopy and a Plymouth Fury.
I don't feel so bad about not using them now, thanks!

Ah, I thought they were a factory thing. Couldn't figure out the connection between a two headed chicken with a mouth like Snoopy and a Plymouth Fury.
I don't feel so bad about not using them now, thanks!
Chrysler accessory floor mats are very rare and look nothing like that and the cars never came with floor mats from the factory. Accessory mats from some other source, like let's say K-Mart or Sears, could have a design like that molded into them.

Here's a page from the '71 (I assume because of your avatar pic) that shows the style Chrysler sold.

1716213901765.png

My Dad bought a nice used 66 Monaco from the local Chrysler dealer in the early 70's, he got them to throw in a set of those Chrysler floor mats. When he used up the car I inherited the floormats. They are in perfect shape-black. They had places you could cut them for bucket seats and you could cut a strip off of each end for smaller cars. They are nice heavy rubber and they reside in my 69 Coronet R/T. Then I found two more nice sets over the years, a dark green set and a light green kind of see thru set.

Back