Is this normal play in the steering?

Zymurgy

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have added a link to a video I shot. It is pretty self explanatory, but I always wondered about the play in the steering form the cars of this era. I drove a '69 Cutlass that was like this and my grandpa's old Ford, but I never drove a new car from this time period so I don't have anything to compare to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uT400fnbTv8&feature=plcp

That's why steering systems are now rack & pinion. Zero slop.
Plus you add in over 40 years of wear and tear, oh my....

Its the infamous Chrysler "arm shot full of novocaine" pwr steering. EVERY Chrysler I've ever owned had this "play" to some extent....some were loser than others. Shortly after I got it, I had the front end of my Newport rebuit...(PST kit w/ the polyureathane bushings, new parts...blah blah) and while its tighter...it still does not feel like the steering in my wife's modern car for example.

This is what I thought, but it's good to know what to expect. I'm planning on replacing all the bushings this winter.

Yeah, the factory spec/OEM stuff is almost like having mayonaise bushings compared to the PST upgrade....very pleased with it.

For the longest time I thought the steering column was connected to the steering box with bungee cords.

I had my power steering box rebuilt to closely resemble a new car feel. I almost have zero slop in the steering and would recommend a rebuild. I used Steer and Gear. This is the option I chose (from their website):

Firm: Steer & Gear Recommended. If you want that stiff feel and faster response this is for you, giving you that feel of the road without great effort. And the right combination for highway, back road handling or drag racing. Yet razor-sharp, and there’s still plenty of assistance for parking maneuvers.

Last edited:
I had my power steering box rebuilt to closely resemble a new car feel. I almost have zero slop in the steering and would recommend a rebuild. I used Steer and Gear. This is the option I chose (from their website):

Firm: Steer & Gear Recommended. If you want that stiff feel and faster response this is for you, giving you that feel of the road without great effort. And the right combination for highway, back road handling or drag racing. Yet razor-sharp, and there’s still plenty of assistance for parking maneuvers.
Cool I'll definitely check that out.

I did check it out, add that to the list. I'm starting to wonder if this site is a good or bad thing. I am definitely getting poorer with your great ideas. This honestly looks right up my alley of an improvement that I would like and with a testimonial on the product to boot.

Last edited:
It is definitely a huge improvement and a must do in my opinion.

Just got mine back from S&G. It'll be a while before I get to drive it. Getting ready to flip the body to clean the underside.
Underside body (18).jpg

Underside body (18).jpg

I would like to do one complete resto rebuild before I get too old.

Just checked the play on my 65's and it is less than half of what yours is. I marked the large part just up from the steering box and it moves just over 1/4 inch when you move it back and forth.

There is a rubber bushing in the steering column of my 65 Newport. In the engine compartment under a half-shell steel cover. Mine had split. I had a local rubber shop cut a thick disk w/ holes to replace it. You can find similar ones in the Help section of Auto Parts. Be sure to run a jumper wire around the rubber or your horn won't work.

The steering gear-box itself can be adjusted to remove play. There is a locknut on an allen-head screw on the sector shaft. You screw it in to tighten. But be careful and check over the full movement since the box is tighter when the steeing is centered. If a manual gearbox (rare on C bodies), first tighten the big nut on the input shaft.

The steering tie rods can also add play. With wheels off the ground tug on the wheels by hand and look for any play. The ball joints and bushings should affect steering play minimally, since they almost always loaded in one direction, except when you hit a bump or such and realize their play as clunks.

I would say my 65 Newport (power steering) has <1/4" play at top of the wheel when driving slow. I would be scared with much more. Remember the old movies where the driver is constantly moving the wheel back and forth. I once was in a government van in Indonesia where the driver was dealing with ~30 deg of play. I thought we were going to wind up in a ditch.

You can tighten up sloppy wheel by loosening lock nut on top of steering gearbox and adjusting screw, then retighten. If you try to take up too much play, it will pull a little to one side, but cleans up slop pretty good

Back