Is this the right part ?

santts

Reaction score
Anyone know if this master is for a manual 4 drum car ? Was converting from single. I don't wanna order wrong part again . My search bring me to this . 1 have a 65 Plymouth.

Screenshot_20230429-062600_Chrome.jpg

The only difference between those two parts is the top. Cosmetically, the one with the two "humps" on the top is good, but functionally, no difference. In fact, I'm pretty sure you can swap the top between the two.

Part correctness is more than just functionality. Appearance has much to do with it as well. Even though some people don’t think so. I like to make a car look like it had never been messed with. The flat top master will work fine, but I use them as cores for the correct master cylinder.

Any master cylinder for 4-wheel drums will work, but you asked for correct which is what I responded with.

The only difference between those two parts is the top. Cosmetically, the one with the two "humps" on the top is good, but functionally, no difference. In fact, I'm pretty sure you can swap the top between the two.
No, the bowls are different too. You cannot install the two hump lid on the flat to and vice versa. They are two totally different castings.

Part correctness is more than just functionality. Appearance has much to do with it as well. Even though some people don’t think so. I like to make a car look like it had never been messed with. The flat top master will work fine, but I use them as cores for the correct master cylinder.

Any master cylinder for 4-wheel drums will work, but you asked for correct which is what I responded with.
I hear you . I try to as well.
No, the bowls are different too. You cannot install the two hump lid on the flat to and vice versa. They are two totally different i
I guess I'll get the orileys one . At least that states specifically what it's used for. Unlike the darn other dosent specify

The car is a '65, so if you want to be "original" in appearance, you wouldn't put either one on as the '65 is a single MC.

Yes, that is true, but the flat top is blatantly wrong. Safety upgrades are more important at the end of the day.

Well true . But mine started leaking so I figured I'd up grade for safety . Why not
IMHO, it is a great upgrade. I've done a few myself. The most recent being my '65 Barracuda.

There is a difference between "correct appearance" and "will this work?". The humped top MC would look a bit more original. Someone not familiar with pre '67 cars might not catch that it should be a single MC.

If you look at a lot of the cars on the forum, you'll see both styles in use.

In my experience with 1968 Fury’s, both are correct as Chrysler used 2 different vendors for drum brake master cylinders.

The master cyl on my '67 Newport is the "flat style" top. Works just fine and always has. 4whl pwr drum car from the factory.

ONE key consideration . . . buy local when possible. Should something not be correct, for whatever reason, or a warranty issue arise, you can look somebody in the eye and request they fix the mistake, even if it was YOURS. "Free shipping" is nice, but puts more time into the mix. I do use RockAuto for their catalogs, to see what's available and at what price, though.

Personally, I like Summit and like their stores (as there is one within a hour's drive from me), BUT much more of their stuff is "will fit/will work" rather than "specific fit", by observation. So, unless you KNOW their stuff will fit what you need, might do well to look elsewhere to purchase.

Also, buying a known name brand, usually is better than not, but it still has to be the correct item.

FWIW,
CBODY67

santts,
Of course, had you contacted me, you could have gotten the correct one for less money.....

To use rock auto for their cataloging, is like asking a 3rd grader to assist you in Advanced Calculus...
If I had a nickel for every error in their catalog, that would be an extra million in my pocket.....

The master cyl on my '67 Newport is the "flat style" top. Works just fine and always has. 4whl pwr drum car from the factory.

ONE key consideration . . . buy local when possible. Should something not be correct, for whatever reason, or a warranty issue arise, you can look somebody in the eye and request they fix the mistake, even if it was YOURS. "Free shipping" is nice, but puts more time into the mix. I do use RockAuto for their catalogs, to see what's available and at what price, though.

Personally, I like Summit and like their stores (as there is one within a hour's drive from me), BUT much more of their stuff is "will fit/will work" rather than "specific fit", by observation. So, unless you KNOW their stuff will fit what you need, might do well to look elsewhere to purchase.

Also, buying a known name brand, usually is better than not, but it still has to be the correct item.

FWIW,
CBODY67
I have maual drum though

In my experience with 1968 Fury’s, both are correct as Chrysler used 2 different vendors for drum brake master cylinders.
That's interesting.

I've seen the "flat top" MC for many years as replacements, but can't ever remember seeing one that could be confidently called "factory original". I wonder if it's a C-body thing or assembly plant thing? Or maybe just a 1968 short coming from their usual vendor made a temporary switch in suppliers.

It actually doesn't surprise me at all. I've been saying "never say never" with these cars for many years!

Back