It's -Fn cold out here

Low 20's with squall warnings right now.

Last night had very icy roads and unfortunately, we had a fatal accident at the end of our road. A pickup lost control and hit an SUV head on. We saw the cops and fire trucks go by and figured something bad had happened.

Started dropping here today, but nowhere near your temps.
Starting to warm up here. It's only -35 this morning heading to -30. They asked everyone to only use essential power last night and specifically mentioned to not charge electric vehicles to help lower demand on the grid.

1705253361049.jpeg

Temps here went down from Friday and Saturday, snow started Friday night, wind started blowing, we didn't get a whole lot snow wise, 3" maybe, but it's drifting. Temp right now is 1 degree and with the wind it's -19. It's cold just not Canada cold

-2 this morning here and I don’t like it. I have no problem with winter until it gets below the teens.

My well froze on Saturday, and took most of the day to get things thawed out. Thankfully, I got the dead water heater replaced before the Arctic air moved in. It was twelve years old. Gotta say that the older I get, I dislike the cold that much more. I'm from Colorado, and used to thrive in this crap. My fear is falling and breaking a hip or something.

It's -2 degrees F right now, without the mythical "wind chill" nonsense. Doesn't matter if the wind is calm or 30 knots, it's still -2 outside. I've been in -69 degree weather in Alaska back in 1980. The "wind chill" doesn't matter a lick at that temperature.

I'm gonna remember this thread when you guys ask me "how the Hell do you put up with those 115 degree temps in the summer"! :icon_fU:

I can dress for the cold.
If I even put on a flannel shirt I feel like I'm wearing a straight jacket. Plus now as an old man I have to pee too often to get all bundled up. I lived 23 years in the NE cold and now 43 in the SW heat. I've done both and I ain't going back.

The problem I'm having this winter is the change from day to day. While I'm not a fan of the cold, I can handle it... The daily/hourly temperature and barometric swings of the weather we've been having gets my old bones and joints aching like a freaking bad tooth.

If it the weather would just pick something and stay there... and that could even be cold, I would feel much better.

15 now, got 4 inches of dry snow.
Got to go get Dad's meds from the pharmacy. Dusted the Roadmaster wagon off. It got's posi and anti-locks, so.
Anyone want anything from the store while I'm there?

We had a nice weekend out here on the central coast - low 60s - tee shirt weather if you're active. I guess this is what my high cost of living is for.

Here in Kansas the windchill has been in the negative teens and got down to the negative twenties. Lots of snow, too. Thankfully I can walk to work because my hood is frozen shut and my battery is dead. British sports cars are not made for this...

It is 4PM in NW Ohio. Temperature is a balmy 8F (wind chill -6). Didn't have to leave the hot water faucets drip in the bathrooms last night. Cycled the man cave heat down to 50 (was at 55). Propane tank is at 45%.
Time to enjoy some adult beverage. Life is as good as it is going to get.
Omni
Here is pic of Lake Erie last Saturday
Lake Erie Jan 2024.jpg

Last edited:
Back