Jessi Combs Killed In Land Speed Crash

1978 NYB

Warfighter
Legendary Member
Reaction score
Jessi Combs Killed in Land-Speed Record Crash

combs-eagle-1567001765.jpg

Very sorry to hear. Loved her on Mythbusters back in the day too.

She was attempting 619 mph.

She was a host on Overhaulin too.

She seems to have been accident prone..

back in 2009;

"On January 30th, Xtreme 4x4 co-host & technical producer Jessi Combs was invloved in an on-the-set accident. I don't know all of the details surrounding the accident but it seems a piece of heavy machinery fell onto her back breaking several vertebre and causing a puncture to her spinal cord. Miraculaously, she does not seems to have suffered any paralysis as a result.

She underwent surgery to repair the damage and her prognoses is for a full recovery. More information will be available on the PowerBlockTv.com website as it is made available."

RIP.

She was definitely a full throttle kind of person. I hate to hear this kind of stuff, especially when she was only in her mid 30s.

I've seen her on the various auto shows and had no idea she was a real gearhead. Prayers for her family, friends, and fans.

I'm pretty sure we all need to take pause and consider just how epic what she was attampting really was. There's not a line of people waiting to fill those shoes. She was as tough as an astronaut!

I got to meet Jessi a few years ago at the Custom Car show in Toronto.

Unlike so many TV car show people, she was 100% a gear head to the bone... On top of that, she was a down to earth human being.

Of all the TV people I've met and worked with, I can honestly say she's the only one that this news had a real shock effect on me.

The world lost a true hero and role model.

Nick

Just realized what car she was driving. This was a scrapped F-104 that they had turned into a LSR vehicle. I watched a couple of videos about it and IMHO, the effort was noble, but compared to some of the other LSR vehicles, it was an airplane with wheels.
Project Overview

Too bad, RIP.

Just realized what car she was driving. This was a scrapped F-104 that they had turned into a LSR vehicle. I watched a couple of videos about it and IMHO, the effort was noble, but compared to some of the other LSR vehicles, it was an airplane with wheels.
Project Overview

Too bad, RIP.
I am not going to knock Jessi with this one, she had more stones than most men, but from many things I have read, the F-104 was a terrible plane in Vietnam. Maybe it just couldn't be made into a car.

I am curious what the investigation will turn up as the cause. Judging from some pics I've seen of the dry lake bed it isn't exactly the smoothest surface to run on. You can imagine the beating any suspension system must take at those speeds.

Back