Just my luck. Three days in and.....

You'll never guess what happened on the way home from it's first car show....
I suppose you know what happens when you leave a thread on a cliffhanger....

I am going to guess(hope ) your experience involved the "Swedish Bikini Team".

Another spring broke. Intake this time. Same side. Seems like I am getting 50 miles to the valve spring. Wife didnt have to come get me, I limped home, but she has been driving the Hellcat a lot recently waiting for her new car and she complained to my daughter that it is too fast... and she uses the black key.

Only thing I can figure is they are fatigued from being parked in a compressed position for decades. But i've revived many a long-parked car without this issue.

I've also heard of valves hanging up with varnish and getting stuck on long parked cars. At least you'll be faster this time.

Probably time to change all of the valve springs, also might want to check to see if you are getting adequate oil flow to the top end, photo shows what looks like some rust on the valve gear. Usually this means a lack of proper oiling.

Dave

That sucks. At least you know what you're in for... I'm with Carmine, this is a bit unusual. Aside from sitting so long, maybe there is a metallurgy issue at play here too.

If you were happy enough with how she was driving before the second spring let go, I would do them all at this point. Second times are not a coincidence. The unbroken springs should all work with air pressure pretty well and be easier to replace than the broken ones.

Probably time to change all of the valve springs, also might want to check to see if you are getting adequate oil flow to the top end, photo shows what looks like some rust on the valve gear. Usually this means a lack of proper oiling.

Dave
When I lifted off he valve cover, oil poured out. The rear drain hole was fully blocked with gunk. I have to think those valves were oil starved and thus the break.

I'm going to replace this one and get the oil flowing and hold my breath. If a third one goes, I'll do them all. I have 3 extra springs sitting here.

Now, the pushrod. It has a slight bow in it. It's not not bent or kinked but bowed. Can it be reused or is it done?

When I lifted off he valve cover, oil poured out. The rear drain hole was fully blocked with gunk. I have to think those valves were oil starved and thus the break.

I'm going to replace this one and get the oil flowing and hold my breath. If a third one goes, I'll do them all. I have 3 extra springs sitting here.

Now, the pushrod. It has a slight bow in it. It's not not bent or kinked but bowed. Can it be reused or is it done?

The above post by big block dodge will work to straighten the bent push rod. Get the valve spring replaced and the push rod straightened and start the engine with the valve cover off. You should see oil running down the rockers to the valve and spring, that is how the valve gear gets lubricated. If you are not getting oil to flow in this manner, you have a clog someplace and that is why you are breaking springs.

Dave

Just to clarify, on the top of the rocker there is a small spurt hole that should spit oil as the engine is running.

I would also give the ATF desludging a try. To make sure it circulates I would run it with 1 qt atf mixed into the oil, sit 12-24 hours and run it again and sit another 12 to 24 hours, one last warm up cycle and change it. Be prepared to throw a filter at it during all of this if you get a lot of stuff to move.

I have been going by the theory that all that crap was sludge from the old oil in her, If there is rust... you will have to make your own judgement as to what needs replacement. I do agree that a rusted spring is compromised and should be replaced.

Got the pushrod straightened out, but it won't seat in the hole. Sitting about two inches too high. I bumped the motor and nothing sounds funny. The motor drive home and shut down ok (running a tad rough though...). Inserting it is tough. The first two inches it goes in at a slight angle due to the brake booster but there is still lots of travel and free play. I can't imagine it is going down a different hole.

Got the pushrod straightened out, but it won't seat in the hole. Sitting about two inches too high. I bumped the motor and nothing sounds funny. The motor drive home and shut down ok (running a tad rough though...). Inserting it is tough. The first two inches it goes in at a slight angle due to the brake booster but there is still lots of travel and free play. I can't imagine it is going down a different hole.

The lifter may be up in the galley, try tapping the push rod with a wood block to see if it will drop back down after you are sure it is seated in the lifter.

The lifter may be up in the galley, try tapping the push rod with a wood block to see if it will drop back down after you are sure it is seated in the lifter.
Ah! The same wood block I straightened it with! It has to be that...there is nothing else there.

I'll try it in the am. Thanks for responding so quick. If it wasn't outside I'd go try it now.

Back