Just my luck. Three days in and.....

No luck. Doesn't even feel like it is seating right. Doesn't feel centered at the bottom of the hole. Feels high on the bottom side and a little deeper on top vs even or low in the center.

I am guessing the intake is coming off?

No luck. Doesn't even feel like it is seating right. Doesn't feel centered at the bottom of the hole. Feels high on the bottom side and a little deeper on top vs even or low in the center.

I am guessing the intake is coming off?

Unless you have a bore scope to take a look at what is going on, that is probably your best option. Push rods can sometimes pull the lifter up in the galley by vacuum but more likely, the broken valve spring resulted in enough free play that the push rod became disconnected from the lifter and the camshaft popped it up out of the galley. Bore scopes are nice to have but the gasket set will be a lot cheaper, this also gives you a chance to check how much gunk is built up in the engine valley and clean it out if necessary.

Dave

Problem found. Solving? Another story....

IMG_3500.JPG

Well... I look on the bright side, it will make for a heck of a thread looking for something to put in front of that tranny.

So the intake valve got beat to death, I assume you pulled the head to see if the block was damaged? Or was this in the valley?

So the intake valve got beat to death, I assume you pulled the head to see if the block was damaged? Or was this in the valley?
Big agree here... if the block survived, your back at the build core level with it.
This thread has read like a good novel.
Sorry about the unhappy ending.
I still can't see this as the story ending... and I know you wouldn't either. Chapter one has concluded is all.
Well... I look on the bright side, it will make for a heck of a thread looking for something to put in front of that tranny.

I'm sure there will be many options once you start searching... I found this in 2 minutes, which means @commando1 would have found it in 2 seconds...
CHRYSLER DODGE PLYMOUTH 1960 318 CUBIC INCH REMAN ENGINE | eBay
s-l1600.jpg

Starting bid:
US $295.00
[ 0 bids ]

This is a 1960 Chrysler 318 cubic inch V-8 rebuilt engine with a cast iron distributor. This has not been run since being rebuilt. Attention: 4 Barrel intake is not available, but do have 2 barrel intake if desired. Block casting is 2532630. It has the steel crank, and is a good looking old engine. Your satisfaction is guaranteed.

I put a camera in the intake and it looks like the piston is holed. I can feel damage on the top of the head. Had a buddy stop by and we just couldn't resist pulling the intake off for a peek. No time yet for a head and I have a truck to get ready for an AACA show tomorrow.

I might get the head off yet this weekend depends how the exhaust manifolds come off. Took a crack at it last night and they were not easy but a couple came without heat.

Got the head off. Piston is a little banged up. With a little JB weld it will be as good as new. Back on the road tomorrow if there wasn't a big chunk out of the cast iron where the valve goes through. Might have to braze in a little cast iron. Might not get it back on the road till Monday.
IMG_3513.JPG
IMG_3514.JPG

Last edited:
Block appears to be intact and should be rebuilt. If you are going to rebuild it, be sure the re-builder checks the rod on the damaged piston for alignment as it could be bent. The head should be discarded.

Dave

Clean the piston, if that's a hole you need a piston. Remove the rest of the valve stem, clean the head, if the boss around the valve guide has a piece missing clean it up with a die grinder. That boss gets reshaped all the time when heads are ported. Have a machine shop check the guide. Best of luck.

That Ebay motor looks like it was rebuilt....in the last century maybe.
I was less interested in the rebuild claim than usable cores... I would have wanted the heads off and more pictures to confirm it wasn't full of rust if I was after it... really just making the point that there are a fair number of 318 era correct cores out there.
Got the head off. Piston is a little banged up. With a little JB weld it will be as good as new. Back on the road tomorrow if there wasn't a big chunk out of the cast iron where the valve goes through. Might have to braze in a little cast iron. Might not get it back on the road till Monday.
View attachment 127977 View attachment 127978
Ouch!... looks like it took a bite of the bore too... I can't see how an era correct replacement would change the value of the car, and if you have no desire for the 318, I would guess you have a fair amount of mix and match swaps possible... IDK too much about engine interchanges of that era. Are A and LA blocks a bolt in change? If a bolt in, nothing wrong with a temporary engine that's easier to find until you sort out the rebuilding/replacing of the original.

I hate that your off the road in this one, please keep us informed.

IMG_3518.JPG
I'm pretty sure the bore is ok. I couldn't see or feel anything on it. Since it is summer and I have cars to drive, not fix this one has to go sit in the corner for the summer

There is a highly recommended machine shop a town over that will have no problem rebuilding this.

Meanwhile I'm back to trying to get my wagon fixed for Chrysler Nationals.

Back