Just picked up an open 742 3.23 third member

Ed Ed Eddie

Reaction score
I know this will be a long shot but ill give it a try. I just picked up an open 742 3.23 third member for my 67 fury. I'm hoping someone has an old sure grip that I can buy and rebuild or is willing to trade for parts. I have an extra 727 transmission in good shape.

I also have some 440 manifolds, valve covers, crankshaft. All of those items I'm willing to trade for, I also have the original water pumps and ac compressor.

I'm located in Colorado, let me know if we can figure something out thanks.

Isn't the Auburn unit a cone clutch sort? Why use this instead of the Jegs house branded unit? Just curious.

Hi Gerald
I believe Chrysler went to cone clutch diffs because of more contact area and simplicity of 2 part design. High Performance Mopar author Ted Wagner recommended cone type clutch because he had used one in his 12.6 sec 105 mph Valiant for over 10 years. HPM 9/98. He also said he used rebuilt cone units with machined clutches, no problems.
AUBURN's Comments
The Auburn Gear limited-slip differential employs an integral cone clutch side gear unit that creates friction with the carrier to drive both tires. The cone clutch design consists of two clutching members, one internal and one external (see image on page 9). The internal member is a unique single tapered part with lubrication grooves, attached to the side gear, creating the cone clutch assembly. The external member is also tapered with a matching angle. When the two are forced together, torque is transferred from one member to another. The cone clutch design allows for more clutch capacity in the same space and is less likely to chatter due to the reduced number of sliding surfaces. This means higher torque transfer for better traction, without the noise.
FAQ's - Auburn Gear.
Manufacturing is being moved out of Auburn Indiana so we need info on where the parts will be made.
Eaton will close Auburn clutch factory

I have trouble comparing Auburn to Jegs: Jegs is assembled in America, so that's a positive. Jegs doesn't give many details on internal construction. I'm naturally suspicious, so a phone call and maybe a request for rebuild instructions would give the info we need to compare.
JEGS 62820: Posi Traction Differential for Chrysler 8.75" in. 30-Spline [All Ratios] | JEGS

Opinions are diverse, so I'm open to hearing different points of view, particularly from someone who has used the Jegs model. Hope I helped a little. Ben

Back