Keeping aluminum finish

SGT FURY

Reaction score
How do you keep aluminum finishes from corrosion or oxidation. Things like carburetors,alternators,trans,
intakes,etc. After cleaning is there
some sort of coating or sealer you can put on them to keep that rebuilt look?

Clear battery terminal protector (in a spray can), which is basically a thin, clear paint. Several light mist coats keeps it invisible until years later when it might start to flake off, from my experiences. When we got the '72 Newport Royal, I got a can and misted the underhood decals/labels while everything was still new. I was surprised to see that the coating lasted for years. No fading at all. If it might start to flake a bit, another thin mist coat fixed that.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

Last edited:
I've been wondering about this myself as my mickey Thompson valve covers have started oxidising pretty badly. Will look around for the battery terminal protector but might give some generic clear coat a try.

i've used the eastwood clear engine enamel in the past on an aluminum intake i glass beaded but i think its too shiny for a "stock" finish...they also make it in matte but havent tried it yet...rustoleum also makes a semi gloss engine clear that i'm gonna grab a can of and check out

Typically any aluminum that was supposed to be "bright" was anodized to remain so, or it faded and oxidized. So, if the anodizing has been removed, then the item either has to be polished regularly or reanodized. I've not heard of any coatings that last well - most seem to turn yellow, or fade away. Not sure if it's the aluminum that in part contributes to the yellowing...

Having something anodized (also known as Brite-Dip) can be expensive, however, you can save on that somewhat - there are anodizing companies that will throw your polished parts in along with someone else's big order...

Milner's and Alta Plating are fairly close to you I think...

anodizing in Northern California - Google Search

Last edited:
The Eastwood matte or satin works pretty good. I used it quite a bit on bare metal, it does help maintain a “natural” look. I did use it on my transmission, fan spacer and alternator.

I've stripped and polished anodized trim and had it clear, glossy powder coated. Looks great, lasts forever. The trim needs to be void of any polish/residue before powder coat to avoid out gassing.

You might want to check into this product. I've never tried it, but it looks promising.

Cerakote - CERAKOTE CLEAR - ALUMINUM

ceracoat.JPG

Jeff

What temperature do you think the metal needs to be for this product to liquify?
thanks, Ben
I don’t have a number. But I’d put parts out in the sun in the summer and the part was warm but I could still hold it in my hand. And then brush the RPM on and it would melt in nicely. Then buff with a towel.

if not summer I would put a space heater on the part and warm it up and get the same results.

I've stripped and polished anodized trim and had it clear, glossy powder coated. Looks great, lasts forever. The trim needs to be void of any polish/residue before powder coat to avoid out gassing.
I have a great local power coat company and reasonably priced. I never knew there was a clear power coat.

of course due to the current state of things the trip to home depot for the rustoleum semi gloss engine clear came up empty...as was the status of most of rack of spray paint...and i cant seem to find it listed anywhere else so i think their listing of it as semi gloss may be a mistake...tractor supply's also been all out of rustoleum for about 3 months now...VHT has a hi temp clear coat but the can says use it over their colors so idk if its usable direct to metal...so there's a can of Eastwood satin on its way from amazon...supposedly only good to 300 degrees though

You might check brake caliper paint. They are all high heat. Also the VHT is 1/2 price of amazon here at JBtools. They also are out of stock on many things but this is available. Cheap enough to experiment.

I use these guys for spray paint. For whatever reason they are usually 1/2 price on paints and better than amazon for epoxies and glue. They also have a few brands like Seymour that you dont see many other places (i see it at Carlisle alot). They are expensive for other things though. They do charge a delivery fee so I usually stock up with 4+ cans at least.

Back