Laptop cleaning

65sporty

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
How and what do most of you guy's use to clean your laptops? The screen I use the same cleaner as my LCD TV, the keys some windex on a cloth and a soft brush for around the keys. Anything I am missing? any tip's?

that's pretty much it, Scotty. just dont pour it on and use a clean microfiber cloth.

unless you eat over your laptop and get sh*t everywhere. then use simple green and then the windex

upload_2017-10-28_14-37-36.png

I recommend black keys for wrenchers. :D

If you go to Fry's, or any computer tech store for that matter, you can buy cans of compressed air with a small straw. They come in handy for cleaning the keyboard. Ensure you clean your fan vents of any dust.

If you go to Fry's, or any computer tech store for that matter, you can buy cans of compressed air with a small straw. They come in handy for cleaning the keyboard. Ensure you clean your fan vents of any dust.

2nd on that. Need the compressed air to blow the dust out of everything.

that's pretty much it, Scotty. just dont pour it on and use a clean microfiber cloth.

unless you eat over your laptop and get sh*t everywhere. then use simple green and then the windex
I don't eat over it, but it's close. :D

2nd on that. Need the compressed air to blow the dust out of everything.
Good idea guy's, I had it apart about 6mths ago changing the power port and blew off everything I could inside.

How and what do most of you guy's use to clean your laptops? The screen I use the same cleaner as my LCD TV, the keys some windex on a cloth and a soft brush for around the keys. Anything I am missing? any tip's?

Using a can of compressed co2 works well for blowing the dust out from between the keys.

Power down before using the canned air, sometimes it will frost up, if sprayed to long. It will spray frost our of the straw, and possibly cause a short, had this happen to other PCB boards I was working on.

Power it down
Get a toothbrush for dentures, a bottle of Fantastic, a bottle of Windex and a few micro fiber cloths.

Use the toothbrush dry and dig all the big bits out from under the keys.
Use a compressed air can or I just use a nozzle on my shop compressor - about 50 psi in short bursts no closer than a foot. Too much pressure or too close will blows key caps off.
With a micro fiber cloth, spray a bit of Fantastic on the cloth and wipe down the whole computer - do not spray anything other than air directly on the computer. I've used many types of cleaners and found Fantastic is the best for removing all the grim, however it leaves a thin film behind. To remove the film, use another micro cloth with Windex.

That's my method and I've cleaned hundreds of computers for customers.

Fantastic also works amazingly well on car interiors.

Back