late C B motor into early c

C Body Bob

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
Attempted to install a 383/727 from a 69 Fury into a 64 Newport. I have the mounts that came with the original 361 engine from the 64. Still could not get the engine to sit down on the mounts. Cant seem to clear oil pan past the engine cross member. Do I need a different pan or is something else wrong. BTW I dont have the original 361 engine any longer. So I cant compare the differences. Hoping someone out there is knowledgeable on this.

You nailed it. Change the oil pan and that engine should literally fall into place.

< Sent from my tablet >

You nailed it. Change the oil pan and that engine should literally fall into place.

< Sent from my tablet >

Is there a pan ID # I can use when I search for one. And will I be able to reuse the 69 383's oil pick up? Or is it different too?

Is there a pan ID # I can use when I search for one. And will I be able to reuse the 69 383's oil pick up? Or is it different too?

if the pan is that different you probably will not be able to use the same 383 pick up

Your car needs the 2268459 oil pan (no 3 digit stamping) which is a 63/64 specific BB pan.
You'll have to do the usual ebay/junk yard search as there are no exact replacement pans available for your specific app.
I believe this new hi-cap pan will fit:
http://www.cfrperformance.com/CHRYSLER_MOPAR_361_383_400_440_HEMI_426_OIL_PAN_p/hz-7117-z.htm

< Sent from my tablet >

Thanks for the info. I went on E-bay & there are new affordable pans claiming to fit early big blocks. However I'm skeptical they will fit this early C. I expect they are for early B body cars. I have already solved the speedo cable, & tranny mount issues (on paper anyway) & hoping the 69 Furys drive shaft will work. May shelve this project for now.

You can't now. I've already invested five minutes of my life into this...

< Sent from my tablet >

Sorry Comando, but she's been sent to the doughout. I need to work on something I actually have parts on hand for. And who knows, while searching for the 2 year only pan maybe I'll find one attached to one of those super rare "440 6 pack hemis" I have heard about.

Back