Leaf springs - Formals

Nice score Stan. Gotta love NOS sealed in the box.
Thank you.
Do me a favor.
Take pics of the chronological order you do your spring swap as a reference for me.
I want to do this in 30 minutes or less. :D
I'm thinking I can do this without even unbolting the shocks. :poke:

Actually, it may take 45 minutes... :D

PicsArt_12-17-01.24.11.jpg

PicsArt_12-17-01.24.11.jpg

Take pics of the chronological order you do your spring swap as a reference for me.

I didn't stop to take pic's. But it's pretty straight forward.
Car on stands.
remove lower shocks from mount plate, swing aside.
remove 4 u-bolt nuts on one side.
remove u-bolts and lower plate.
remove 4 forward bushing bracket nuts
support spring.
remove 3 rear shackle bolts.
lower spring from car.

reverse to install.

note: be sure to check fit of alignment pins in the new springs with the holes in the axle mount pads and lower shock plate.
note 2: Do not tighten anything until both sides are in place and aligned.
breaks optional. I had to swap out the rear shackles and bushings, so it took me 6 1/2 hours to do the job. You should come in at 45 minutes with all the new parts and resources you have. If not....... The Waffle House is hireing.

I didn't stop to take pic's. But it's pretty straight forward.
Car on stands.
remove lower shocks from mount plate, swing aside.
remove 4 u-bolt nuts on one side.
remove u-bolts and lower plate.
remove 4 forward bushing bracket nuts
support spring.
remove 3 rear shackle bolts.
lower spring from car.

reverse to install.

note: be sure to check fit of alignment pins in the new springs with the holes in the axle mount pads and lower shock plate.
note 2: Do not tighten anything until both sides are in place and aligned.
breaks optional. I had to swap out the rear shackles and bushings, so it took me 6 1/2 hours to do the job. You should come in at 45 minutes with all the new parts and resources you have. If not....... The Waffle House is hireing.

I hear Stan can get us a "Greeter" gig at Walmart. LOL!

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by cantflip Don't be... not apples and oranges... but different apples for sure...

Sure looks like Mackintosh to Mackintosh to me.

I would like to revisit this... Now it looks like Mackintosh vs DONE to me

I think I know what is going on though... you have the hardware on the old springs soaking in a mix of atf and acetone and will in the morning remove them carefully and successfully. Then the anal urge will kick in and even though your old stuff came off in good condition, the new will go on. there are cars around here that would benefit from your discards.

Being the FNG I will temper my ball busting with mention of how much I am impressed with your over the top approach and excellent technical information. Just stop trying to set me up on a blind date with that blue pig in live oak...3 years later I bet she don't look like her picture...

I admire how you can install new leaf springs and be at the computer at the same time.... You are installing the springs, aren't you.....?
Nope. Just got home from The Lagoon where I was nursing my buddy of 40 years going through a divorce.
Priorities....

Nope. Just got home from The Lagoon where I was nursing my buddy of 40 years going through a divorce.
Priorities....

Christmas time can be hard on relationships...sorry about your friend. Women seem to have a built in support network that once the secret word is given they descend on their friend and form a protective phalanx around her while the guys call a buddy and head to the bar. Hopefully kids or cars won't suffer too much!

He just finished the resto of his dream car. It's for sale...
Malibu, btw. Looks badass.

My very first restoration was with my best friend on a 1957 Chevy 210 4DR hardtop. We were 14 years old and worked all summer cutting railroad ties into wedges for shipping pipe on railcars. We spent the next 4 years doing a complete frame off total restoration and it turned out beautiful. I ended up moving away and he bought my side of the car out. Lost contact with him and the car over several years. Found out he ended up losing the car in a divorce to his ex. She sold the car for half its value, I almost cried. Had I known I would have bought the car in a heartbeat. Make sure your friend's car goes to a good home Stan, maybe someone will hold onto it for him until he can buy it back. Man I sound like Jeff today....

Back