Lets Play A Game: Last Of The Convertibles

Thanks a lot for posting your Polara's fender tag! DL27L0D210381

Paul, since you are active on the board today, I thought that I'd alert you to two other Polara 'vert that were manufactured the day after yours but have the next two VINs!.

One is DL27L0D210383, a EW1 white / L2B3 blue ragtop that was left to rot in NJ--where @polara71 found her and took photos. She was built the same day as yours: March 26, 1970. I saved the photos from the now sadly defunct Polara/Monaco Yahoo board:

210383+2011+fender+tag+2.jpg

210383+2011+left+fender+side.jpg

The other car is DL27L0D210382. This EB3 'vert had a scheduled build date of 3/26 yet its VIN is off from yours by a mere unit! @polara71 may want to chime in with more info on that Maryland soft top (owned by Bill?), which as of 2008 he had last seen at Carlisle.

Last edited:
DL27L0D293397 is Bill King’s car. Looks a lot like Dave’s Adleen.

It was scheduled for June 2nd. The scheduled day is not necessarily the actual build day.
Scheduled to start being built on the 2nd. May not have been complete until the 8th.

But scheduled date is as close as we get to a birthday...so it counts. Right?

Scheduled to start being built on the 2nd. May not have been complete until the 8th.

People would like it to be that simple and easy. It may have been done and out the door by May 28th. Without further documentation, there is no way to know.

People would like it to be that simple and easy. It may have been done and out the door by May 28th. Without further documentation, there is no way to know.
I have two cars shipped three days after the SPD, and one shipped five days before the SPD. I'd know about a fourth I had the fender tag pic on my phone.

missing parts or tooling problems can be a reason for delays in example.
I had a 70 v-code RR with an SPD on the tag of 816. Matching engine had a build date of the rotating assembly 821 and doorsticker said 9-1969.

Carsten

Folks, I don’t think that’s Wyatt’s point. All he’s saying is that, absent other info, the SPD is the best guess for a car’s birthday.

Folks, I don’t think that’s Wyatt’s point. All he’s saying is that, absent other info, the SPD is the best guess for a car’s birthday.

Agreed! Thats the best we have, so we have fun with it, respect and honor the car a little more that day.

and what we’re saying that is a common, but erroneous, thought. It’s a projected, estimated, scheduled date. You would be better served in estimating assembly date based on actual date codes original to the car. They are far more accurate and reliable than a date known to be variable.

Humans want a finality and certainty when it sometimes doesn’t exist.

and what we’re saying that is a common, but erroneous, thought. It’s a projected, estimated, scheduled date. You would be better served in estimating assembly date based on actual date codes original to the car. They are far more accurate and reliable than a date known to be variable.

Humans want a finality and certainty when it sometimes doesn’t exist.

I am afraid that you missed the caveat in my reply, which I’d italicized for emphasis: in the absence of other information. Carsten and Scott provide some good examples of the type of additional info that would override the SPD.

I love learning more every day. For example, how many of the last C-body verts have a different month on the tag and on the VIN plate / “door sticker”?

I am afraid that you missed the caveat in my reply, which I’d italicized for emphasis: in the absence of other information. Carsten and Scott provide some good examples of the type of additional info that would override the SPD.

I love learning more every day. For example, how many of the last C-body verts have a different month on the tag and on the VIN plate / “door sticker”?

Back