Lets Play A Game: Last Of The Convertibles

There was a 70 Polara built to look like a Monaco, build date of 903 , I have the tag information if I need to prove it to you, can you provide the same?

You need to friggin relax .... I was and always will be interested in the car. Your ignorance mingles with your arrogance and I have never had time for it even on other sites.

There was a 70 Polara built to look like a Monaco, build date of 903 , I have the tag information if I need to prove it to you, can you provide the same?

You need to friggin relax .... I was and always will be interested in the car. Your ignorance mingles with your arrogance and I have never had time for it even on other sites.
I am not trying to prove or disprove anything, you seem to think I am. I saw a '70 Dodge for sale on eBay, must have been a Polara, with a build date of 703. Can I prove it? No, Can you disprove it? No. So, what exactly is the issue? I'm arrogant because, in so many words, I asked you to be direct if I've made an error?

Motto here is without pictures it doesn't exist.
Which is why I believe you are mistaken. The car I am referring to is red. If a 70 polara convertible went through e bay in the last 18 years I probably know about it.
By simply saying you saw it doesn't make it accurate or it real. At this point you think you saw a Monaco, see where this is going? Which is why I said what I said....
Anything else, we need to pull the dead horse icon from the smiley database.

Wow. If you didn't see it it doesn't exist, and I don't know what I saw. And you call me arrogant.

I'll beat that horse with you. We're done here.

Back to the topic, did anyone ever clarify when the last possible build date could be for a 1970? I would think it would have to be sometime in July, no?

I remember when they rolled the last Cadillac vert off the assembly line, it was big news. Marked the end of production convertibles in the US. It was the 1976 model year, I think, but no official record of the last vert from the #3 automaker.

It wasnt a big deal to them. Nothing special about it. By the time the early 70s were here the convertible was considered unsafe. Just factory production units to the bean counters

It was a Dodge and it was a C Body, perhaps a Polara. Forgive my ignorance, but the fact remains I saw a Dodge C Body 'vert with a manufacture date of 703. That was, and remains, my point.

Do me a favor. Next time, instead of writing, "You saw a 70 Monaco convertible dated 7 03?," come right out a say, "They didn't make a 1970 Monaco Convertible, 69 was the last year." I can take the fact that I made a mistake; don't beat around the bush. Thank you. Good God, I thought you were interested in the car.

For guy who goes by "Snotty" and makes a conscious decision to embrace that moniker, and then, from my limited experience with you, makes every effort to live up to what most would expect of a guy who goes by "Snotty" you seem to be a pretty sensitive guy.

For guy who goes by "Snotty" and makes a conscious decision to embrace that moniker, and then, from my limited experience with you, makes every effort to live up to what most would expect of a guy who goes by "Snotty" you seem to be a pretty sensitive guy.
I can be. Look, I make mistakes the same as any other human, but just come right out and say it. Don't beat around the bush and play word games seeing if I can figure it out. That's just being an ***, and such activity pisses me off; always has. I don't play manipulative word games with people, and I don't want them to do so to me. If that makes me sensitive, so be it.

A friend of mine comes to me one day and tells me he saw a '62 New Yorker ragtop at a show. I came right out and said, "There were no New Yorker convertibles after 1961. You sure it wasn't a rebadged-Newport?" So, same scenario, different question: "You sure it was a Monaco, because they didn't make a ragtop Monaco in 1970? Had to have been a Polara. And I'm hesitant about that build date." Such would have led to a much more pleasant response.

I can be. Look, I make mistakes the same as any other human, but just come right out and say it. Don't beat around the bush and play word games seeing if I can figure it out. That's just being an ***, and such activity pisses me off; always has. I don't play manipulative word games with people, and I don't want them to do so to me. If that makes me sensitive, so be it.

A friend of mine comes to me one day and tells me he saw a '62 New Yorker ragtop at a show. I came right out and said, "There were no New Yorker convertibles after 1961. You sure it wasn't a rebadged-Newport?" So, same scenario, different question: "You sure it was a Monaco, because they didn't make a ragtop Monaco in 1970? Had to have been a Polara. And I'm hesitant about that build date." Such would have led to a much more pleasant response.

0.jpg

Highest date I've seen is 7 14.
According to Galen Govier's Code Book: "Model year production begins August 1st, and usually ends the second week of July."

I read somewhere that the latest a build date one would ever find would be 715.

According to Galen Govier's Code Book: "Model year production begins August 1st, and usually ends the second week of July.

Which is true.... to a point.

One can find pilot cars with an SPD before 801.
Typically, you'll find the early promo cars with an 801 SPD.
"Regular production" cars typically start with 802.

As you move into the '70's you can see that SPDs became later and later in July, (as shown above by the '70 Hamtramck 730 SPD) sometimes, depending on the model year and plant, extending production into August.

There are general guidelines but no hard and fast rules as to when things started and stopped. What actually happened year to year and from plant to plant can differ.

Doug,

Any insight (any info at all) about the end of production for the C-Body in 1978?

Doug,

Any insight (any info at all) about the end of production for the C-Body in 1978?

Sadly, no.

I have not run across very many '78 model year cars of any style.
I have very few '78 C body fender tags.
It will be something I pay more attention to in the future.

Back