Lets Play A Game: Last Of The Convertibles

Ok guys, I dont want to really part this car if someone will save it. I will sell it for $3700.00

It's a shame they all can't be restored, but the crazy cost to do a restore is a huge limiting factory.
they don't all have to be 70k restorations. at 37 complete, that Florida car is at a great starting point for making a fun driver.

I've been watching this #8 and will add it to my list once someone buys it and gets it back on the road. Unfortunately the odds aren't great so it may end up crushed. It's a shame they all can't be restored, but the crazy cost to do a restore is a huge limiting factory.
Fury440, just wanted to say thank you for the website on your car. It is awesome. It is so kind of you to share the story and the pictures of the process. The information there and here were instrumental in me purchasing my Fury. While I cannot go to that level of restoration I do hope to have a real good driver on the road next summer. Happy to be new member of the group.

Fury440, just wanted to say thank you for the website on your car. It is awesome. It is so kind of you to share the story and the pictures of the process. The information there and here were instrumental in me purchasing my Fury. While I cannot go to that level of restoration I do hope to have a real good driver on the road next summer. Happy to be new member of the group.
Thanks for the kind words. When I started to think about restoring the Fury I had no idea of the process, the amount of work, the cost of missing parts or any idea where to even look for help. If it wasn't for the internet the car probly would have been crushed. I decided to document my journey to give others a place to see what is involved. It's been a crazy trip. I never figured it would take over 20 years to get her done. The cost, while a little crazy really didn't hurt because it was spread over a lot of years and was all cash so no credit card interest charges. I strongly suggest that anyone working on a restoration, stick to cash and swapping.

Anyhow, I'm done and its your turn!!

While we are talking Furies, here is the tag for PM27G0D143959, an EF8 Ivy Green (now dark teal due to an older restoration) / M4F8 two-tone green vinyl interior (whose split bench with folding armrest has been replaced by a black paisley fabric bench) / V3W white top 'vert that went for sale in Wisconsin two days ago and is being discussed here.

She was slated for production on October 23, 1969 -- just a week later than PM27T0D148353.

fender tag for FCBO copy.jpg

Last edited:
@ayilar
I saw you requested fender tag from my 70 Fury Conv and then forgot and then remembered again for some unknown reason...uh, 2 weeks later.
So I come to the end of this thread, come to the last post and It's a same day of production car. (see above)
Fender Tag.jpeg

M85 Bumper Guards
R11 AM Radio
V01 Monotone Paint
V5F Body Side Moulding
26 26 inch Radiator
V3W White Convertible Top
A01 Light Package
G11 Tinted Glass
H51 Air Conditioning with Ft. Heater
L31 Turn Signal Lite Hood/Fender
M31 Body Belt Moulding
EW1 Paint Code Alpine White
M4F8 Medium, Split Bench, Green
EF8 Upper Door Frame, Dk. Green
A23 October 23 Production Date
T07544 Order#
E44 318 2bbl
D31 A904 3-speed
20190210_123524.jpg

Amazing — and just 101 numbers apart!

Are you bringing your (not quite) Dalmatian to Carlisle for the “Last Convertibles” 50-year reunion?

Amazing — and just 101 numbers apart!
Are you bringing your (not quite) Dalmatian to Carlisle for the “Last Convertibles” 50-year reunion?
I don't know anything about the reunion. Please fill me in.

The closeness of the VIN numbers is amazing.
Question: my order # T07544, his order #T16148. I'm surprised that the order #s are so far apart when the VINs are only 101 apart. Are order#s non-sequential?
Thanks, Ben

Last edited:

Question: my order # T07544, his order #T16148. I'm surprised that the order #s are so far apart when the VINs are only 101 apart. Are order#s non-sequential?
Thanks, Ben

No, they really don't have anything to do with VINS. As a side to that statement I believe if each car was ordered as a bulk or in a group at the same time then yes the numbers would be similar . Hopefully Doug will chime in .

Thanks, Ben

Here’s an abbreviated version of a very nuanced topic....

VONs are the first and basic unit used to sort cars and help assign VINS so depending on the situation VONs may or may not be sequential to VINs.

If a company or government agency orders a batch of similar fleet cars, say “cop cars”, the VONs and VINS will likely be sequential as the cars would be built at the same plant at the same time so the can arrive as one shipment.

Promo cars are often sequential VONs and VINs.

Package cars were built at a designated plant. You may see VONs in clusters but you may or may not have sequential VONs and VINs for daily production.

Cars built at multiple plants ( say Belvederes or Coronet based cars) may or may not have sequential VONS for things like special paint.

Cars built for non timely situations or based on administrative things like leases or true special order cars will probably not be sequential.

Here’s an abbreviated version of a very nuanced topic....

VONs are the first and basic unit used to sort cars and help assign VINS so depending on the situation VONs may or may not be sequential to VINs.

If a company or government agency orders a batch of similar fleet cars, say “cop cars”, the VONs and VINS will likely be sequential as the cars would be built at the same plant at the same time so the can arrive as one shipment.

Promo cars are often sequential VONs and VINs.

Package cars were built at a designated plant. You may see VONs in clusters but you may or may not have sequential VONs and VINs for daily production.

Cars built at multiple plants ( say Belvederes or Coronet based cars) may or may not have sequential VONS for things like special paint.

Cars built for non timely situations or based on administrative things like leases or true special order cars will probably not be sequential.

See.....once again, Doug chimed in and the answers are there.

Thanks, Ben

some VONs may not actually be sequential. There is a reasonable belief that some VONs indicate a sales region. (Another reason WHY broadcast sheets and window stickers are so important)

T07544 could mean the 544th lease (T) car assigned to region 07. T16148 could be the 148th lease car assigned to region 16.

The problem with this theory is that it limits the number of cars assigned by type to a region to only 999.

research continues.....

cars for Canada and Export are another topic.

Got it. Key take away: vehicle order numbers are non-sequential, so the VONs on the 2 fender tags are unrelated.

I bet you all remember this teal-colored 1970 Chrysler 300 convertible. CM27T0C163080 Has been repainted. It was then offered in Massachusetts on eBay in December 2017 but bids didn't reach the reserve.

s-l1600-3.jpg
FT.jpg

Last edited:
CM27T0C136596 was last seen in New Jersey in July 2015. Note that the passenger side paint stripe is white while it's red on the driver's side.

cwvDm9asA_Lw9YsGTQNy8vWzhmw7.jpg

cwvDm9asA_Lw9YsGTQNy8vWzhmw26.jpg

FT.jpg

Last edited:
@ceebuddy -- thank you for posting this info! If you could add info re: when the last time each car was last seen, that'd be the cherry on the cake!

Meanwhile, here is another FP6 teal 1970 Chrysler convertible: CE23L0C239215 is a 383-2 Newport in Ontario. Her black bench interior is original; she was repainted in the correct teal by a previous owner, who replaced the black top by a white one.

$_59.JPG

fender tag FD216C47C4C941859E79F21C5541A152.jpg

Quite a few of you will remember CM27U0C146862 which was for sale in Texas for a high price (and for a while) beginning in 2015, advertised as being very original, albeit a color change from silver to black.

IMAG0044.JPG

FT.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This one was last seen in Sylvania, OH in May 2015. The fender tag is not easy to read, I'd say it's CM27T0C172280.
100_1214.JPG

100_1216.JPG

20150510_153932_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
CM27T0C247921 was last seen in Edmonton, Alberta in September 2017 (at least as far as I know).

$_27.JPG

FT.jpg

Last edited:
Back