Lights Dimming at Idle

Maymarmag

Reaction score
Hello All,

I am having a problem that many of you have probably experienced, so I wanted to reach out to you for some advice on a fix.

I have a 1969 Newport Convertible. I believe that it was sitting in storage for a while before I bought it. The car was originally a 383 2-barrell car that a previous owner turned into a Hi-Power 383.

Since having it, I notice that when the car is at full power load (lights, a/c, etc.) it tends to want to bog out. Here is what I have done:

Adjusted idle
Added a fast idle solenoid
New Ballast Resistor
New Carburetor
New Battery & Alternator

All of these adds have improved the performance of the car nicely, but I still have a flicker / dimming of the lights at idle.

My thought now is that it is a wiring / ground issue. The bulkhead connector terminals look good. I have changed the battery cables, cleaned the ignition relay terminals, added an engine to body ground, still no luck in eliminating the problem.

Can anyone offer any advice as to what I should or where I should look next?

Higher amp alternator? - If the wiring is bad, that won't help right?
Replace the engine harness?

Any help would be appreciated.

Pete

Since having it, I notice that when the car is at full power load (lights, a/c, etc.) it tends to want to bog out. I still have a flicker / dimming of the lights at idle.

Pete
Does "full power load (lights, a/c, etc.)" include electronic ignition, driving lights and/or an aftermarket stereo system?

Back