Looking for rear end parts for 1960 Plymouth

Fast Eddie B

Reaction score
Thought since the whole entire car was rebuilt, the only thing left was the rear end. All the seals were leaking a little so I thought ‘what the heck, let’s rebuild’.

That was 4 months ago. Shop said the first round of parts I ordered didn’t fit. Bearing specifically. I got the spec’d rebuild kit for the 60 Fury 318 from an online shop. Can’t think of the name right now. The shop doing the rear springs and axle sent the pumpkin out to a transmission rebuild shop to get the lash set and rebuild and they have been holding it up saying they can’t find the right parts.

Shops today that don’t deal in a lot of old cars often don’t know where to find parts.

Any ideas on where I can look for the right parts and what to ask for so I can get my Fury back on the road this summer?

The forward Look site, Category & forums listing - The Forward Look Network, is loaded with resources for the FL era cars.
Unless your a strict purest I would suggest swapping out the "tapered" axle unit for a later assembly.
I swapped a 1968 Newport rear axle unit into my 61 Fury. It was a direct change over and even had the same gear ratio. The main advantage is the brake upgrade.

Right now i am stuck with the car at one shop, pumpkin at another. Trying to manage finding the right parts as the first set ‘didn’t fit’. I believe I ordered parts for a Dana 60 and I am thinking from my reading at forwardlook that I may have a tapered axle and would need a different kit.

Is this a tapered axle?

09A863EA-492F-4641-AE44-100792E55F8A.jpeg

They did not use Dana 60's in Mopars of that vintage. If all else fails, the bearings have Timkin numbers so you can order them from any good bearing supplier. Seals have direct National equivalents. You might have to make the shim sets to take up the bearing slack for the axles, most of the time the bearing tolerances were close enough to reuse the same shim packs. Do not, whatever you do, put Chicom bearings in the rear end or on the axles, those bearings are poor quality and too soft for a heavy car like a 60 Plymouth. Most of the time if there is excessive gear lash on the rear end it is because either the bearings or the ring and pinion are excessively worn. In that case you will need at least new bearings, if not both, as changing the gear lash on a used ring and pinion also changes the wear pattern on the gears. It is also very important to check the torque on the lock nut at the end of each axle. The key way on the tapered axles was famous for breaking out if they were improperly torqued. (145 ft lbs min)

Dave

Last edited:
Get the number's off the center section take a couple pictures then call Dr Diff Driveline Components @ 406-883-4772 they were able to get me all Timken Bearings and seals and gaskets to do my axles . I got a USA made pinion seal & rearend housing gasket locally.No more leaks from rearend now.

Dr. Diff. Couldn’t help. Only does 65 and newer. We’re going to pull the part numbers off the current bearings and seals. We should be able to cross match to Timkin and National. I did find Yukon. Might just call them too.

Dr. Diff. Couldn’t help. Only does 65 and newer. We’re going to pull the part numbers off the current bearings and seals. We should be able to cross match to Timkin and National. I did find Yukon. Might just call them too.
I have some bearings for tapered axles. IDK the part numbers but, post them up or PM me and I'll look through my stock. Craig

Back