Lost Reverse, 68 Newport still fighting me.

Transmissions go to a much higher pressure in reverse (if memory serves it goes to ~230 PSI vs 110 PSI in drive), if the filter is partially clogged or the front pump is weak, it could cause a no reverse issue.
My $.02

Transmissions go to a much higher pressure in reverse (if memory serves it goes to ~230 PSI vs 110 PSI in drive), if the filter is partially clogged or the front pump is weak, it could cause a no reverse issue.
My $.02
This may be the case as it always was slow going into reverse. Still doing research as I find the time. Thank you, for the input. I talked with an older gentleman who has been working on these mopar transmissions for over forty years and we set up a time to get it on the lift.

Last edited:
Got the Newport back from local transmission shop after a total rebuild.
The 727 now shifts quick and solid as it should, with no issues to speak of. Small pan leak that I addressed.
The tech said fluid was blowing by the rear servo seal among other issues, I'm sure as I found some band debris small pieces of metal when I pulled the pan. Wrapping up, the Newport now goes backwards, as did my bank account.
Sure, is good to have the ol girl back on the road.

Back