Master Cylinder Blowout

Boyd

Reaction score
2 years ago, I put a Scarebird conversion in my 1965 New Yorker. I replaced the single bowl mc with a Tuff Stuff Performance 2035NB from Summit. I have driven the car very little since the conversion, but I noticed in one of the threads that I need a master for a disk/drum system. They said that the drum one will not due. In fact, my Tuff Stuff blew out last week. Just got off the phone with Speedway and the said the one I bought was a 1 1/8th bore and I need one with a 1 inch bore. They have one but it is a Corvette/GM product with a 2 bolt mount. Where can I get a MC that is not going to blow out? What one should I order? I have no intentions of crazy driving, but I want my big boy to stop on a dime.

its a crazy bore like 1 19/32 or something strange.. but ya 15 bucks and a trip to vatozone and u are back on the road they should have them in stock if you are in any kind of civilization.

try not to die -

- saylor

Stock dual for disc/drum in the 67 year variety. That's what I got when the single pot gave up it's last ghost on me.

Last edited:
Not sure what "blew out" means for an MC, but sounds like it wasn't Tuff enough. No excuse for an MC seal blowing or whatever, even if you are an NFL linebacker. I recall 1"D bore is standard for power brakes on my 65 Newport, but check rockauto. A larger bore will require more pedal effort, but less travel. I wouldn't go larger. When the booster on mine failed (w/ factory single pot MC), I rolled thru a stop sign trying to stop w/ both feet, like trying to stop a train. I now have a new booster w/ 7/8" D bore dual MC (for 95-99 Breeze/Cirrus/Stratus w/ ABS). It stops almost too easy w/ the booster, but should be manageable if another booster failure. Mine has all drums, so can't imagine stopping a front disk car w/ failed booster.

If you put a 2-4 bolt Mopar adapter plate on your booster ($30 ebay), you can mount many later 2 bolt MC's. I recall the Bendix booster I have now has an adjustable tip to match for the MC. I kind of recall that also on the earlier Midland-Ross booster I had. I chose the Breeze MC just because I was using it on my 65 Dart and 64 Valiant too (consolidates parts). You might not need to adjust the booster tip since my Valiant is manual brakes and I found that w/ adapter plate, the brake rod hole ends up in exactly the same place as w/ the original MC. Many A-body guys use a 2-bolt MC for an 80's Dodge truck. Dr. Diff sells w/ adapter for $95, but you might want the custom 15/16" bore upgrade for $125. I wouldn't use an earlier cast-iron 4-bolt MC because they have leaky lids which not only sloshes out DOT 4 "paint remover", it similarly lets moisture in (corrosion), though I use DOT 5 (silicone) fluid. They also get rust ugly, though some value that "original look". Not true that you can't use a drum-drum MC. Only difference is the disk/drum MC's have a larger F reservoir, but if you keep on eye on fluid levels a drum-drum works too. There is sometimes a "residual valve" in a drum MC port that needs removing so no pressure lockup (dragging calipers), and I hope you installed an adjustable proportioning valve in the rear circuit so you don't lock-up the rears first and spin-out on turns.

Back