Meet Buttercup, a 1972 New Yorker Brougham 2-door Hardtop

Do you happen to have photos? It'd be great if you could post them, with a blurb about the car's history, in The 1973 Chrysler Thread.

ee3b4ff3d1d8ba0ab8e16f3d287c80ad.jpg

s-l640.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

The shift linkage developed some issues last fall, and it will be replaced this spring by a unit recovered from a 1973 NYB that @71Polara383 parted out a few years ago.

IMG_9225.JPG

Here is another update on @ayilar 1972 Chrysler New Yorker. As stated in the previous post Michel dropped off replacement shift linkage to correct and restore proper adj. and operation. The backstory is last fall Buttercup would not shift into park. First blush impressions would have you think the steering column was to blame. It was not the source of the problem. At that time I made some concessions to shift linkage adj. to enable park engagement, this however threw off all other detent positions as a result. On examination multiple linkage components were found to have heavy wear or missing parts. See photos.

DSC00771.JPG

DSC00772.JPG

DSC00773.JPG

DSC00774.JPG

DSC00775.JPG

DSC00776.JPG

DSC00770.JPG

With freshly cleaned and installed the replacement linkages restored operation to like new operation.

DSC00779.JPG

Last edited:
Todays update it was discovered on inspection of the steering column shift linkage that two freeze plugs were leaking. As the following photos show these two freeze plugs were ready to rupture. The water jackets inside were found in excellent condition.

DSC00780.JPG

DSC00781.JPG

DSC00782.JPG

DSC00783.JPG

DSC00791.JPG

DSC00792.JPG

DSC00760.JPG

DSC00763.JPG

Excellent work. How were you able to get in there to tap them in?
He has teenie-weenie hands.
I only wished my hands were teenie-weenie. When I raised up the front of the car I placed it on jack stands as they were extended to their full limit. I then removed both front tires and disconnected the outter tie rod ends. This gave me easy access to the freeze plugs. Ounce done I left the steering wheel unlocked to as needed position the idler arm or pitman arm out of the way Tapping them in was accomplished w/ a 1 5/16 3/4 drive socket w/ a long extension.

Todays update it was discovered on inspection of the steering column shift linkage that two freeze plugs were leaking. As the following photos show these two freeze plugs were ready to rupture. The water jackets inside were found in excellent condition.

View attachment 597569

View attachment 597570

View attachment 597571

View attachment 597572

View attachment 597573

View attachment 597574

View attachment 597575

View attachment 597576

How is it that some of the freeze plugs can look so bad and yet you indicate the coolant passages were in "excellent condition". Whenever I have removed such freeze plugs the passages are filled with plenty of sediment? This is an interesting finding.....................

View attachment 597569

View attachment 597570

View attachment 597571

View attachment 597572

View attachment 597573

View attachment 597574

View attachment 597575

View attachment 597576

That's it! I'm reducing my standard FCBO offer to $2000. . .

How is it that some of the freeze plugs can look so bad and yet you indicate the coolant passages were in "excellent condition". Whenever I have removed such freeze plugs the passages are filled with plenty of sediment? This is an interesting finding.....................
The erosion of the freeze plugs like this is common even if the coolant change interval is adhered to in your maintenance schedule. Note the condition of the cylinder walls in the photos above. The freeze plugs appear to have been replaced many decades ago. Possibly the quality of them degraded at a faster rate than expected. Of course, China crap materials = short life cycle possibly.

Back