Meet Regina FQ3, a 1970 Polara convertible who turns 51 today

Virtually all my cars that I will be keeping are 2 door hardtops and while I like the factory ride quality I prefer a slight rake to my cars that I am not sure the factory set up actually had. My recollection is that in the past Dave recommended going with ESPO and specifying a 1" higher than stock ride height for the leafs.

So for my case, what would you both recommend I pursue with ESPO for my cars to end up with a slight rake (yours looks fine to me) and a close to stock ride quality (I am OK with a little stiffer ride from the leafs, but not much but I will not compromise on having at least a slight amount of rake)? I am not sure which options remain at present compared to what was available in the past especially for 2 door hardtops?

Thanks for any additional insights.

Last edited:
Option one................:)
69770bf86c90a622b24ef832344d3646.jpg?o%5Bw%5D=800&o%5Bh%5D=800&o%5Bf%5D=1&defaultImgFile=default.jpg

Who needs air bags to change the attitude? Just a few bags of dirt and mulch will change the ride height, smooth out the bumps and yes, make it into a tail dragger. I could likely benefit from new springs, but not too bad when empty.
Probably close to 400-500 Lbs in the trunk plus full tank of gas.
719A87C7-8CC9-461B-A235-CA15F022D087.jpeg
B0396B6F-EDF7-44E3-B068-8643EB86C0F1.jpeg

Empty, except for about 50 Lbs of tools.
9E0E5C90-C4ED-46AD-A579-0FD6157BEC3E.jpeg

Virtually all my cars that I will be keeping are 2 door hardtops and while I like the factory ride quality I prefer a slight rake to my cars that I am not sure the factory set up actually had. My recollection is that in the past Dave recommended going with ESPO and specifying a 1" higher than stock ride height for the leafs.

So for my case, what would you both recommend I pursue with ESPO for my cars to end up with a slight rake (yours looks fine to me) and a close to stock ride quality (I am OK with a little stiffer ride from the leafs, but not much but I will not compromise on having at least a slight amount of rake)? I am not sure which options remain at present compared to what was available in the past especially for 2 door hardtops?

Thanks for any additional insights.

Everyone who has replaced springs here has their supply guy. 20 plus years ago I chose ESPO because they used to do Spring & Fall Carlisle, plus they were close to home.
After my first set I was hooked on their 1 inch over stock height spring. Honestly, I have no way of knowing what is 1 inch over but this derivative looks and rides great in my eyes.
Are all your cars 7 leaf cars? With Adleen I stayed with the factory 6 leaf set up. Three others I replaced 7 leaf with 7 leaf. My first was a 5 leaf that I went to 6 on.
You would know but do you really remember the true ride feeling of the C body? Certainly they were floaty but after 50 years our memories are that of legend, not necessarily of fact.
I was always satisfied with the outcome but I was never restoring.
Our shock absorber of choice has a big impact on ride too. With Adleen I went with NOS ( Oriflow I think). My blue 71 had KYBs ( I hated them )This car has Bilsteins on them which are great for stability but horrible ride quality.

After all my ramblings the only way to truly know is to try a set of stock height ESPO springs. Though now they're made in Mexico? I'm likely done with them .

Regina doesn't have Torque Boxes like every other convertible I have experience with...

Why? Has anyone ever seen this? Factory mistake?
20210522_124851.jpg

Thats what I was thinking it doesn't look like they were cut off.

Maybe because its a 383-2? I was under the assumption convertibles got all the extra support/bracing because the lack of a roof...

Maybe because its a 383-2? I was under the assumption convertibles got all the extra support/bracing because the lack of a roof...

That’s what I’ve always thought, that all convertibles had them for structural support

I had a 70 Satellite convertible, 383-2, it had the torque boxes

The other three all have them ?

Btw they also have heavy angle iron in the rocker panels on A and B body convertibles for strengthening.

I would assume C bodies have them too

One thing I do remember from the past is an old saying, "the more things change, the more they stay the same" but now I am beginning to believe is is more appropriate to claim that "the more things change, the more we have to learn to adapt"!

It seems the world these days is increasingly upside down with everyone trying hard to learn how to cope with it all.

One thing I do remember from the past is an old saying, "the more things change, the more they stay the same" but now I am beginning to believe is is more appropriate to claim that "the more things change, the more we have to learn to adapt"!

It seems the world these days is increasingly upside down with everyone trying hard to learn how to cope with it all.

Huh?

The headlights need to go. I have ordered Wagner H5001 and H5006 halogens from Rock Auto (details in this thread) and I will be getting a relay kit to accommodate the slightly higher wattage on high beams.

Meanwhile, work is progressing apace on the front end. The goal is to bring Regina to @sixpkrt's 5th C-body Show in Union, IL on June 26 and to @Pete Kaczmarski's Waupun, WI show on June 27. Here are a couple of photos that @71Polara383 sent to me last Sunday.

upload_2021-6-10_9-28-44.jpeg
upload_2021-6-10_9-28-44.jpeg

The headlights need to go. I have ordered Wagner H5001 and H5006 halogens from Rock Auto (details in this thread) and I will be getting a relay kit to accommodate the slightly higher wattage on high beams.

Meanwhile, work is progressing apace on the front end. The goal is to bring Regina to @sixpkrt's 5th C-body Show in Union, IL on June 26 and to @Pete Kaczmarski's Waupun, WI show on June 27. Here are a couple of photos that @71Polara383 sent to me last Sunday.

View attachment 465548View attachment 465549
You installing disc brakes from Summit on Regina ?

Back